Lightweight Hood - Is It Worth It For A Daily Driver?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Hi all,

My 87 Supra is in need of a new hood, the one I have is a little rough. I was considering getting a carbon fiber or fiberglass hood for it but I do not know if its a good idea for a daily driven car. I have considered trying to fix the existing hood but that would require removal of the structure beneath it to correct the dents, and I'm sure the structure would not just go back together. I'm not quite a fan of the CF hood look so I would be painting the hood to match the car. So, is it worth it to buy a fiber hood or should I try to source a factory piece? Thanks.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Personally, I think the stock hood is beautiful and functional. I would not make the change for weight, appearance, function nor certainly not "effect".

Just my opinion.;)

-crisp

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the replies, the reason I suggested CF/FG is availability, there are not to many Supras around me that would be good for just parts, and I have only seen one lately in the junk yard, but I think the hood is messed up as well.

I would prefer fiberglass over carbon fiber because it will be painted. Has anyone seen fiberglass hoods for sale that have rolled edges, I have seen a carbon kevlar hood for the Supra in person that didn't have rolled edges, and it looked quite bad.

Also, so running a lightweight hood without hood pins is a not a good idea? Have many "broke loose" without them?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Yeah I had an ex-friend that didn't put pins on his FG hood on his mkiv, damn thing flew up and smacked the windshield...

Then again its the same guy that forgot to tighten down his targa, and smacked a parking block trying to drift it....then bought a turbo eclipse after selling the mkiv at a loss and crashed it the same day....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends a lot on the design of the hood. Some are properly braced to use the stock latch, the cheap ones aren't.

Also keep in mind they don't crumple the same way as a factory hood in a wreck.

88_7mge

N/A Lover
Dec 1, 2008
Hemet, CA
about 50 percent of the cars that i have seen with a carbonfiber or fiberglass hood on it being used as a DD with nothing keeping secure other than the stock hood latch begin to flex and crack within a year. Buddy had a VIS hood on his GTI and after about 9 months of driving it it started flexing and cracking near the vent in the middle of it. Buy a good set of hood pins if you go with something other than stock just to keep it looking good. Preferably the hood pins that use a barrel key lock instead of the slide pins to lock it down. they look way cleaner and are more of a deterrent for people wanting to bust into your car.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
my CF hood locks and releases with the stock latch and the hoodpins hold it on super tight...

however you're correct, I should get some sort of locking mechanism, preferrably those aerocatch pins, but I don't have the monies for it right now..:(

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
+1 for hood pins if you go FG

but if you are painting it anyways the stock design is really well done and I would just keep an eye out for another one. Even if you have to source it from toyota that is the route that I would take.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

I considered getting a set of the flush mount hood pins with a key so if I do end up going the route of a light weight hood I will be getting a set.

I will still keep an eye out for a OEM hood, the hood is near the bottom of the list for things I need right now but I thought I would get some input before looking further into it.

Thanks again!