Lighter flywheel

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
I see that it says that they recommend a lighter driveshaft when using the 11.5lb flywheel from driftmotion. Why is this, and will it hurt anything to get the lighter flywheel and have the stock driveshaft?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
it should be okay without the driveshaft, many have ran with a lighter flywheel and stock driveshaft

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
the question you have to ask yourself is what youre hoping to accomplish by a light flywheel.. in some aspects of racing it's seriously FTMFL depending on the material and treating.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
wouldnt I accomplish less rotating mass? and to the spending more money thing, that's why I asked.

jblaze

"Always the underdog"
Apr 14, 2006
Baltimore, Md
Yes to both. You will have less rotational mass AND less money. Welcome to the world of turbo-car modding! But if it puts that smile on your face and you can feel the difference from the seat of your pants (and you will) and the price doesn't kill you, then its worth it. Be careful of burnouts (depending on what type of flywheel you have).

jblaze

"Always the underdog"
Apr 14, 2006
Baltimore, Md
When you are doing a burnout, there is a very good chance that you may create so much heat that your clutch seizes up to your flywheel. I have heard of people doing this with an AL flywheel (specifically FIDANZA flywheel), so be careful!