light

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
The gauge lights and the marker lights on my 90 na auto quit working last night. I was about to leave and when i turned on the lights the gauge lights never turned on. I got out to look and the marker lights werent on etheir but my brake lights work. I checked the fuses and the tail light fuse was blown so i replaced it and it blew again when i turned on the lights. The only thing i did before was take out the radio so i took it out again and checked the wiring. Replaced the fuse again and it didnt blow but still no gauge or marker lights and all my otheir fuses are good. Im not positive but i dnt think its the dimmer switch and im pretty much stumped.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
i would check a wiring schematic and start chasing wires, did you check the fuses under the hood, cant remember if there related or not.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
EDIT: missed the part about u throwin a fuse... what fuse is being throw?

EDIT #2: if its for lighting check where your bulbs are.... ive had a similar thing happen where the wires were close enough to touch and threw the fuse

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
I checked the fuses under the hood and they are all good.It was the tail light fuse. It quit blowing out yesterday when i was messing with it.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
You'll still want to trace the cause. If it was blowing there was definitely a reason.

It's better to spend a couple hours on your day off then to get stuck with no lights in the middle of the night.

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
mkiii222;1183223 said:
You'll still want to trace the cause. If it was blowing there was definitely a reason.

It's better to spend a couple hours on your day off then to get stuck with no lights in the middle of the night.

The lights still dont work

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=D&P=21 and the previous page(20) are what you want to look at (not much difference in that circuit GE/GTE).

Other lights on that circuit:
License plate frame
Glove box
Cig lighter light
Ash tray light
Turn Signals (comb light on diagram)

Possible causes:
Tail Light Relay
Tail Fuse
Head Light Switch (controls the relay)
Wiring

I'd say that after replacing the fuse several times, the relay finally gave.
Check your wiring first to find where the short is and then replace the relay. There's quite a bit of wiring on that one circuit, so plan on spending a few hours.

edit: I didn't specify the dimmer or hazard switch because the marker lights would still come on if they were gone. (diff grounds)

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
mkiii222;1183326 said:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=D&P=21 and the previous page(20) are what you want to look at (not much difference in that circuit GE/GTE).

Other lights on that circuit:
License plate frame
Glove box
Cig lighter light
Ash tray light
Turn Signals (comb light on diagram)

Possible causes:
Tail Light Relay
Tail Fuse
Head Light Switch (controls the relay)
Wiring

I'd say that after replacing the fuse several times, the relay finally gave.
Check your wiring first to find where the short is and then replace the relay. There's quite a bit of wiring on that one circuit, so plan on spending a few hours.

edit: I didn't specify the dimmer or hazard switch because the marker lights would still come on if they were gone. (diff grounds)

Did some more testing. The fuse blowing is fixed. The dimmer switch gets no power and the tail fuse gets no power. So im going with you mkiii222. I think its the relay. The head light switch is a multi-switch so wouldnt somthing else not work if it was the switch?

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
Had a friend look at it with me and we figured it out. Its the fuse box. The wire between the relay and the fuse has short. We got them to work but i have to get a fuse box asap. Are the pre-89 and 89+ fuse boxes the same?

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Tgood;1185685 said:
Had a friend look at it with me and we figured it out. Its the fuse box. The wire between the relay and the fuse has short. We got them to work but i have to get a fuse box asap. Are the pre-89 and 89+ fuse boxes the same?

yes they are.

-saif