Light Switch on 89 Supra

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
I have been reading up on some older threads and need some help from some more experienced members.

I have recently purchased a 1989 Toyota Supra, and the headlight switch is faulty and is ittermittenly not kicking the lights on, and will cut off the headlights while driving due to what it appears is just a damaged headlight switch.
Is there any way to repair it or run a switch that i can kick the headlights up/on with a toggle?

Called my Local Toyota Dealer and they can not get the part, however i located this http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/p/__/SWITCH-ASSY--LIGHT-CONTROL--NO1/4233703/8411280039.html
But it looks like its only for the 1990/1991/1992.

Thanks in advance,
Jesse

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, most of the counter guys used to be numbskulls and say they couldn't get anything I needed...

Finally found one of the good guys at a local dealer and ordered through him. Still got the same shit on his day off, and it was always fun picking up parts from the idiots that said they couldn't get it...

Also, you can usually fix the switch by popping the cap off the end of the stalk and tightening the screw (that's usually very loose). Relatively common on old Toyotas :)

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
When I take the cap off there is a white plastic clip inside, put a screw driver in it but isn't going to turn with ease and didn't want to break it, is that what your talking about?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hmm that looks FUBAR from the gap between the parts. I don't see a screw either, I'd have to dig around for the old headlight switch I have kicking around here that I messed with...

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
Haha, yeah its needing some help, I ordered the part from the original post, hope it cures my problem. Would be nice to have working headlights in the meantime :)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If it's just to get headlights working until you get the replacement switch, at the #2 integration relay, under the dashboard:

Pin 14 controls the pop up headlights. Ground this, and the lights come up.
Ground pin 3 to leave the lights up with them off.
Pin 10 controls the headlights themselves. Ground this, and the low beams come on.
Pin 13 controls the taillights.
I don't think that you can turn high beams on without a functional switch. Well, unless you want to duplicate functionality, but that's a bit extreme. I'd probably just wire a toggle to ground pins 10, 13 and 14 as a temporary measure. As a shortcut, pin 18 is the ground for the integration relay #2.

Ref: TEWD Page 62 and TEWD Page 60

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Dan_Gyoba;1952032 said:
If it's just to get headlights working until you get the replacement switch, at the #2 integration relay, under the dashboard:

Pin 14 controls the pop up headlights. Ground this, and the lights come up.
Ground pin 3 to leave the lights up with them off.
Pin 10 controls the headlights themselves. Ground this, and the low beams come on.
Pin 13 controls the taillights.
I don't think that you can turn high beams on without a functional switch. Well, unless you want to duplicate functionality, but that's a bit extreme. I'd probably just wire a toggle to ground pins 10, 13 and 14 as a temporary measure. As a shortcut, pin 18 is the ground for the integration relay #2.

Ref: TEWD Page 62 and TEWD Page 60

High beam switch is separate from the headlight switch, so he's probably fine there.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Communistwookie;1952087 said:
Better picture of the inside of switch

Keep digging.

Take that white part out and clean the contacts underneath. I just did this last year, but I dont remember any loose screws.

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
Replaced the combo unit and appears to of resolved my headlight issue however the lights on my speedo/Tack flicker I assume this is not going to be related as it did it before I replaced the combo unit.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Resurrecting old thread because I could use some help with a similar problem. I'm building a 1989 NA into a ChumpCar endurance racer. We race day and night so I need functioning headlights. The headlight stalk switch is worn out and I'd like to replace it and to get it out of the way of drivers crawling in and out of the roll caged car. I don't need high/low/flash or turn signals. I need headlights, taillights, brake lights.

I thought to replace the stalk with a couple of toggle switches mounted next to the fog light switch.

I disconnected the light control switch connector under the steering column and test grounded the pins on the car side one by one. I identified the pins that make the headlights flip up and make the taillights/clearance lights/gauge lights come on, so I thought I would wire them using a simple SPST rocker switch.

I need help identifying which wires will make the headlights (low or high beam) come on, preferably using the wires at this connector. Getting to the Integration Relay No. 2 to tap into pin 10 looks like it might be difficult.

I have pored over the wiring diagram, but I could use some help.

Thanks