light issues... WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
You may have seen this same thread over at the forums... im just trying to find someone who has had this problem and remedied it.

So I just purchased an 89' with a 1jz installed and running, but the previous owner didnt complete the swap correctly. He did not use the JDM Fuse box, instead just cut and spliced his way to it running.

The issue i have is with the headlight switch. When the key is on but the engine is not running the switch works normally, as it should. When i start the engine with the light switch in the off position, it is just the opposite, the headlights turn on and go up as well as the interior lights turn on. Has anyone had this issue?

Also, when the engine is running and the lights are in any position, on or off, when i start to build positive pressure the lights inverse.

Example: Driving down the road at night with lights on... roll on the throttle.... when boost gauge reads 1lb. the lights turn off, all of the lights including dash, headlights, corner lights.

WTF??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

Please help this sucks, i cant boost at night!

Thanks,
Jon

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I had simmilar issue. My lights were going out because the fuse used to blow i had a 15amp there since N/A swap. So it blew 15s for couple of times and then i replaced it with the 20 or 30 fuse , i don't remember, and it never did it again.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
ok, well ive gone back through all of his wiring. The only thing in question is the way the alternator is wired. From the alt. there are 3 wires, and he has them running over the engine, and wired into the 7m's location. I noticed that the same 3 wires appear in the harness very close in proximity to the alt. Is it supposed to be this way? or is it just supposed to run off of the jz wiring locaiton on the harness?

Adrenaline

Crazy Canuck
Sep 27, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I just finished another 1J swap and there really isn't any correlation between the motor and the headlights. I suspect that the poor wiring approach on the motor may have been used on the headlights at some point. The alt wiring should have been done differently, but some people just shouldn't do wiring. :eek:
Wish I had an answer for you.... there may be a wire from the factory security system connected to the engine somewhere, possibly the MAP sensor? Strange problem.
BTW, putting the JZ fusebox in the car isn't the solution to the swap - it's only one way of doing it. I never have and they always work perfectly. It's all about knowing what goes where.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Pernilongo;1038707 said:
Any suggestions Supramike? or just opinions pretty much?

What he said is a fact, not opinion. If something is blowing your fuse, then there is something wrong with it. A higher amp'd fuse is only an invitation to a car fire or messing up something else other than a fifty cent fuse. I don't know what's wrong with the op's car, but Supramike gave him the right advice. Hopefully he gets his car fixed soon, because no boosting at night would truly suck.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
ive gone back through all of the wiring again... and all of the fuses (as advised) and still nothing that i can see is wrong! Damn, this is irritating. One thing that is confusing is about the Alternator wiring, any thoughts on this? Post #5, also the steeringwheel was changed out for some aftermarket junk and the cruise control wiring / horn wiring has been cut. I also found a red 16/18 ga. wire just underneath the ignition that isnt hooked up to anything. I havent been able to trace it back yet, but if anyone knows where that goes it would help.

Ill be sure to keep you guys informed on the situation!

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
suprahero;1041555 said:
What he said is a fact, not opinion. If something is blowing your fuse, then there is something wrong with it. A higher amp'd fuse is only an invitation to a car fire or messing up something else other than a fifty cent fuse. I don't know what's wrong with the op's car, but Supramike gave him the right advice. Hopefully he gets his car fixed soon, because no boosting at night would truly suck.

No that was an oppinion on my fix. and my wasn't a solution to a problem. it's kind of a given its better to find a problem than to replace the fuse with a bigger one permanently, a monkey knows that. But when I have no lights and its 11:30 pm and I'm in the middle of 110 ; i'm replacing the fuse! i'm really not goin go inspect the wiring at this point. Plus, neither 3 of us know if his fuse is blowing. I just didn't want him to get stuck on a road in the middle of the night and call a tow truck. Peace.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
nope, Im not blowing any fuses. And all of the correct size fuses are in place both under the hood and in the kick panel.

One thing i noticed this morning... The car was idiling way low, about 400 rpm, when i hit the gas fairly hard the lights again would act the same way, and i wouldnt even hit boost. I now believe that it has something to do with the alt. wiring. im not sure why, but no one else has any explinations.

Can someone please tell me if the wires to the alternator are supposed to plug into the loom by the alt. or in the factory 7m location please? Is there a bridge that i hve to run there between the 2?

Adrenaline

Crazy Canuck
Sep 27, 2005
Toronto, Canada
thesupragod;1043320 said:
One thing i noticed this morning... The car was idling way low, about 400 rpm, when i hit the gas fairly hard the lights again would act the same way, and i wouldn't even hit boost. I now believe that it has something to do with the alt. wiring. im not sure why, but no one else has any explanations.

The more you describe it, the more it appears to be a wire for the MAP sensor being crossed with one in the factory security system.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
New information!

It appears to happen even when boost is not achieved!
When i apply an above average electrical load to the factory cabin wiring the same thing happens! cruising/accelerating lightly at 10 lbs vac., turning the fan on medium or high will cause the same problem.

Im really stumped now.

oh yeah, it has nothing to do with the stereo i installed. turning it up has no effect on the lights.

any more suggestions?