Lifter Tick...Tranny fluid trick safe?

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
Just the other day my 7m decided one of the lifters in the rear of the head wanted to start driving me crazy. In the past with other cars when changing the oil I would fill with tranny fluid instead of oil and let it run for 2-10 minutes then drain the tranny fluid and fill with oil. The tranny fluid would act as a cleaning solvent and lifter tick would be gone.

Now with the 7m's wonderful oiling system I'm thinking that trying this would be a BAD idea. I have also heard of adding a little kerosene to the oil itself and then putting in fresh oil will also act as a cleaning solution.

Anyone have experience or should I stop trying to put a Band-Aid on my beater?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
PSI: I always put 1 litre of Trans Oil in a few days before the oil change as it's so high in detergent it really does a good job but will clog the filter so it's important not to drive it too long after!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
holy crap this is totally new to me .... atf in engine.

do tell,

IJ how long do you let it run in there, as in miles driven or hours running?? would this even help lifter tick without doing the shimms individually, i dont see how this would get arround that problem, just cleaning.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
AJ: ATF has a shitload of detergent per litre, as I said I run 1 litre of it a few days before a change and just drive normally.

It breaks down the varnish/deposits in the motor but as I said it will clog the filter and make it bypass if you leave it in too long! (Wouldn't leave it in more than a week)

Been doing this since I was a kid and always have nice clean internals when I pull em down.

I wouldn't do a full change with ATF as Psi was asking in the 1st post as ATF just doesn't have the viscosity of motor oil and I suspect you might scuff a bearing in a 7M.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Ken: LOL Only using 1 litre can't hurt anything no matter what happens!

It will take a few oil and filter changes to clean up the insides of the motor and remove the sludge/varnish.

But here we go just in case>>

disclaimer: IJ is not responsible for anybodys
f----- up motor if not done right
;)

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
The tranny fluid trick ONLY works on engines with hydraulic (oil pressure) lifters. What happens in those engines is that a lifter will collapse (sometimes only partially), thus opening up the gap at the PUSHROD. The ATF cleans away the varnish/sludge, thus allowing the lifter to start working again.

The 7m uses shims to adjust the valve clearance. Do you get it now?

Also...I would not use anything (ATF or kerosene, or any engine cleaner in a can) in the engine oil to clean out the block if you have more than 80k on it. The built-up varnish and sludge thake up clearances, and helps the seals NOT leak. Remove it and you will start hearing engine clatter, and develop leaks. :icon_bigg

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
You won't hear valve ticking/clatter for a long time after its been properly set. And if you change your oil regularly, you may never hear it. It develops as valve train parts wear out.