Letting the cat out of the bag - 13" OEM Quality Front Brakes for the MA70 Platform

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
SupraBlur;1164018 said:
Woah woah woah. I'm definitely interested in the bracket plus ring kit, but had to interject here. Offset has nothing to do with brake clearance because the offset is the measure between the centerline of the wheel and the mounting surface of the face. Brake clearance is the distance from the mounting surface and the actual face of the wheel (commonly referred to as pad or simply brake clearance). You can have a high offset low pad wheel just like you can have a low offset high pad wheel. You won't know unless you measure, and offset plays zero role in this.

In regards to fender and/or shock clearance, the width definitely plays a factor -- since offset is just a relative point to the centerline, and clearing the fender or the shock still depends on the overall width of the wheel. If your rotor has more thickness than the stock rotor, then it is the equivalent to adding a spacer, which effectively lowers the offset (pushing the wheel closer to the fender).

-Ray

BAM! Where the hell have you been hiding? :D You are correct, now that I sit down and think about it. My biggest concern was "do these clear the most common 17" wheels that MKIII owners buy?" and the answer is YES they do.

I wish I had more wheels locally I could test for clearance issues!

*edit* Also, the face of the rotor is identical in thickness to stock - 5mm.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
very much intrested, if I wanted to get discs locally what car would they have come off?

I just dynoed 650 WHP on my 2jz mk3 setup and welll stock breaks on rotors that have been turned about 5 times gotta go... Been stalling and stalling and now is the time to buy.....

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'm not releasing any information on part numbers / applications until I verify this is 100% the setup I'm going to use.

So far it all looks good, but I want to be certain ;)

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Pbr make brake calipers and parts for just about any car so at least you wont get caught out if you ever need to replace buckets and seals.
Love the work, wonder if i can use this kit on my mx83?

SlimLim

May 21, 2006
Australia
I would be interested in the kit minus any PBR gear. So brackets, brake lines, hubcentric ring etc.

Reason for this is i'm in Aust and it would make sense to buy it off the self and avoid shipping fees.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Can't wait to see the final product!! I've been following the thread from the beginning, but is there any chance you'll try and fabricate and rear brake system as well?

Mo

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Mo87NA;1164301 said:
Can't wait to see the final product!! I've been following the thread from the beginning, but is there any chance you'll try and fabricate and rear brake system as well?

Mo

Why? Aren't our rears already 291mm? 70% of your stopping power is the front brakes. Seriously, I have doubts (from an engineering perspective) that upgrading the rears ends up being worthwhile.

I guess I could be a total pimp, and build brackets to put these 13" PBRs on the back as well! LOL (that's a joke, btw)

*edit* On second thought - thicker rotors could help prevent fade back there. And I see the MKIV Turbo rears are 323mm. There is no ABS back there to worry about.... I'll do some research into this ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
SlimLim;1164280 said:
I would be interested in the kit minus any PBR gear. So brackets, brake lines, hubcentric ring etc.

Reason for this is i'm in Aust and it would make sense to buy it off the self and avoid shipping fees.

I seem to be getting about equal responses both ways, so I may offer it either way.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Since you have all the measurements you may be able to make a template like this one for people to check their wheels

Attachments

• Supra 86-92 330 mm 1 piece FSL Template-1.pdf
    224.7 KB · Views: 23

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
7Mboost;1157508 said:
I believe John told me he picked up all the parts from his local autostore. The PBR calipers are found on a variety of cars and the rotors are off a Mustang-Cobra so they aren't going anywhere, thus the pads and all replacement parts should be easy if not easier to find/obtain than stock.

(John correct me if I'm wrong)

It looks like the kit off the 03-04 Mustang Cobra/Mach 1 cars. The lug pattern is the same and it's 13", only thing different is the hub difference and the way they bolt up. This kit will help a lot of people out! You have made a great leap for MK3 guys Doward, this is affordable to all MK3 guys that need to replace brakes. I'm in for sure for the rings and adapter plates.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
frontierguy25;1164354 said:
It looks like the kit off the 03-04 Mustang Cobra/Mach 1 cars. The lug pattern is the same and it's 13", only thing different is the hub difference and the way they bolt up. This kit will help a lot of people out! You have made a great leap for MK3 guys Doward, this is affordable to all MK3 guys that need to replace brakes. I'm in for sure for the rings and adapter plates.

PBR makes the 94-04 Ford Cobra calipers, that's true!

I'm getting quotes now :)

SupraBlur

Nov 16, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Doward;1164317 said:
Why? Aren't our rears already 291mm? 70% of your stopping power is the front brakes. Seriously, I have doubts (from an engineering perspective) that upgrading the rears ends up being worthwhile.

I guess I could be a total pimp, and build brackets to put these 13" PBRs on the back as well! LOL (that's a joke, btw)

*edit* On second thought - thicker rotors could help prevent fade back there. And I see the MKIV Turbo rears are 323mm. There is no ABS back there to worry about.... I'll do some research into this ;)

The whole 70/30 thing is so that under hard braking, the front traction will find its limit before the rear does, making the car understeer (for the safety of the general driving masses). If after the PBR upgrade the same amount of line pressure as stock equals even more stopping power in the front but the same in the rear, the brake bias will lend itself towards even more understeer at the limit. So you may want to upgrade the rear not necessarily for additional stopping power, but just to restore the stock balance of the car, or even make it closer to neutral instead of heavy front bias. We already exaggerate the at-limit understeer when we replace the stock wheels with staggered widths, so we could probably stand to lose some of the OE safety measures.

-Ray

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Alright, I've put out some emails for estimates.

Figure on me opening this group buy up sometime between now and next week. I'll probably leave it open until Thanksgiving (and everyone can put them on for Christmas!) but we'll hammer out those details when we get to that bridge.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Got the DXFs out to a place in Orlando that does waterjetting, and a place locally here in Gainesville that specializes in small production runs on a CNC. Waiting to hear back on material costs, machining costs, etc.

SlimLim

May 21, 2006
Australia
Are you going to make the kit an ongoing thing or once off?

Don't do it now, you will hurt the Aussie guys :p

Our exchange rate is getting a flogging :(