Letting the cat out of the bag - 13" OEM Quality Front Brakes for the MA70 Platform

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
GROUP BUY IS OPEN: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83234

Or as I like to call them - "What Toyota should have done from the factory!"

Here's the long and the short of it:

Much like the Probe Pistons, this is something I am building regardless of how much interest there is. I will be building at the very least, my own kit. I will open up a group buy if there are more people interested in these kits, and I wanted to give everyone a heads up about them.

Weight Comparison:
Stock Bracket: 3 lbs 4.6 oz
13" Bracket: 2 lbs 9.6 oz

Stock Caliper: 8 lbs 2.7 oz
13" PBR Caliper: 3 lbs 15.8 oz

Total Stock Setup: 11 lbs 7.3 oz
Total 13" PBR Setup: 6 lbs 9.4 oz

Kit List:

13" (Full 330mm Diameter) Rotors
PBR Dual Piston Brake Calipers
Bracket that will bolt to the stock front hubs, and allow you to bolt on the PBR calipers in the proper way.
Hubcentric Ring to Properly Center the Rotor

Why?

The stock brakes are a seriously lacking spot in the MA70 platform. I want to be VERY clear - these are OEM quality brakes, that SHOULD have come on the car from the factory - these brakes are NOT as good as Andy's Wilwood 4 Piston Kits! Andy's kit is absolutely top notch - if you need amazing brakes for track duty, I suggest you look there!

So what are these brakes supposed to do for you?

The stock brakes are 11.8" The 350z Track rotors are 12.6" These rotors are 13.0"

I see these brakes as being MUCH better than the Nightpager Kit (12.6" rotors with calipers designed for a rotor smaller than stock!) but not as good as Andy's (ARZ Performance if you guys don't know who I'm talking about) 4 piston caliper setup.

These are true 13" rotors with calipers designed to USE all 13" of that rotor!

So how far along are these?

Rotors:
The rotors clear ABS with no problems. The rotors will require a hubcentric ring (I've got all the measurements no problem), and the ROTORS do not require you to cut the stock dust shield! I've got a video I'll be uploading to YouTube later for you guys to see this in action ;)

Calipers:
I need to finish building a prototype bracket, and then find a machinist to build the actual production brackets. Unlike the rotors, the calipers DO require you to trim your dust shield a couple of inches!

Brackets:
So far, I've used QCad to design the bracket system. I'm working on the prototype bracket to determine if the setup will clear the 17" MK4 Wheels (big thanks to Jeff - 7MBoost - for that help!)

What kind of price? I'm shooting for around $600-$700 total. We'll see what happens!
Pics of the Pad Contact - that's right, 100 fucking percent

Video(s):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbzQQxCHMAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nok3XI0AL8g

Sorry about the rambling with the hubcentric ring. I've seen guys slap rotors on and go with the whole 'Oh, it's centered on the studs and the wheel holds it in place!' BULLSHIT - I SUBMIT PROOF! (and yeah, I'm a scraggly mess right now)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX08hJIaLLg

Last edited:

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
In, and willing to send a deposit to hold a set once they're ready.

I've been wanting to do a brake upgrade for a while now, but really am not wanting something as hardcore as the ARZ kit. This setup seems like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Will be anxiously watching and waiting.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Working on uploading the video (which will show you the Rotor mounted up, but no caliper yet)

I've found when it comes to organizing a group buy on here, giving everyone a solid "Hey, this is going to be happening!" and then allowing a couple of weeks to let everyone get their ducks in a row helps out.

I have no intentions of doing this twice. Whomever gets in when I make my own, gets them - anyone that doesn't, misses out ;)

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
will replacment part's be easy to source later,not like i put alot of mile's on my car anyway's:).i know you've been on the forum's awhile,but you never know.good people have left us in the past:(

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
tsuper92;1157480 said:
will replacment part's be easy to source later,not like i put alot of mile's on my car anyway's:).i know you've been on the forum's awhile,but you never know.good people have left us in the past:(

I believe John told me he picked up all the parts from his local autostore. The PBR calipers are found on a variety of cars and the rotors are off a Mustang-Cobra so they aren't going anywhere, thus the pads and all replacement parts should be easy if not easier to find/obtain than stock.

(John correct me if I'm wrong)

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
If the parts can be scourced at the parts store, it might make a better bet to list the parts required and sell the brackets and rings. More people will buy just brackets/rings as it is a cheaper start to this and find the rotors and calipers at a later time. I know thats about the only way I could do it as money is tight and step programs are easy compared to a chunk of doh all at once. Damn economy!

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
YotaRob;1157515 said:
If the parts can be scourced at the parts store, it might make a better bet to list the parts required and sell the brackets and rings. More people will buy just brackets/rings as it is a cheaper start to this and find the rotors and calipers at a later time. I know thats about the only way I could do it as money is tight and step programs are easy compared to a chunk of doh all at once. Damn economy!

I agree, this winter is my engine build, next project will be suspension and brakes. Doward would it be possible to offer just the brackets and rings as well as the full kit? Thanks for stepping up consistantly and taking your personal projects to the next step by getting them produced for the community. I for one really appreciate and I know its alot of work::salute::

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Holy crap, lots of replies. Updating the first post with a link to the YouTube of the rotor (not yet finished processing, so check back often!)

I'm not releasing exactly what components are used, until I finish the kit completely. The rotors I'm using currently may not allow the rotor I'm trying out to be used.

I'll release all the part numbers and such for Brembo and PBR parts once I'm 100% sure everything works ;)

*edit*

@Suprabad - I'm shooting for stuffing these under a 17" wheel.

Also, for anyone not familiar with how I work - I will not take a dime until I have a complete product. Only THEN, once ALL prices are 100% finalized, will I start taking deposits.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Video is up and running. I'm hoping to have the bracket prototype done, and the caliper mounted next weekend. I'll also test the MK4 wheels at that time.