lets talk shift knobs

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
I have been useing a billet 6061 pistol grip shifter for about 4 years now and love it. I cost me less than $30 shipped. I took a stock supra shifter and removed the upper piece and the rubber from the lower piece and then threaded the lower piece and attached the pistol grip. I will never go back to a conventional shift knob.
Link to the pistol grip
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-shift-knob-pistol-grip.html

A kinda crappy pic of my shifter, I will see if I can post a better one soon.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55184&d=1327516277

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
When I got my car it had what looked like the original crappy boot and a pretty ugly universal bare wood ball shifter. Luckily, my Dad had just replaced the OEM knob on his MR2 for a TRD Ball-type knob, so I quickly swiped his old one :naughty: which wasn't in bad shape. It's heavy as hell too. When the leather finally started to rip on me, I decided to go with the Greddy counterweight shift knob. found it cheap on Ebay. Almost as heavy as the OEM mr2 knob. Liked that it came with different color shift pattern inserts. Yea, it can get really hot or really cold, but whatever. What bugs me more is that the nice shiny finish it had has now faded quite a bit after 2 years of DD, but I still like it. First 2 pics are of the MR2 knob + custom leather shift & e-brake boots, last is of the Greddy knob I now have.

P1020153 2.jpgP1020155 2.jpgsrgreddy7.jpg

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
how can a dealership be out of TRD knobs? if your a californian call up carson toyota, they are the head of TRD and japanese parts in ca

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
so i figured i would update this. i ended up getting the trd knob from yota 3.0. every dealer/online vendor was telling me they couldn't get them cause they're discontinued. guess i got lucky. its just what i was looking for!!! heres a pic of it. hella jdm doo. and yeah i know my shift boot is trashed lol

p1836812_1.jpg

p1836812_2.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Discontinued?

If that is true, here is something for all the low ballers out there. Don't expect to pay LOWER than what they were new if you find on USED in good condition and if anyone has a NEW one in packaging, it's going to cost more than what it is now new.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Probably discontinued because of all the knockoffs that are out there (and they're terrible quality compared to the real thing)

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
I have been hunting down a nice weighted shift knob lately and its funny this thread came up lol Im digging the one MikesFixedRoof posted

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
robawelch;1836866 said:
Do y'all know the thread size for the Shifter. Looking into something a little more old school..... From my time on the land cruiser forums http://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/191643-cruisercrap-teq-shift-balls.html
Thread size is M12, should be 1.25 thread pitch. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken please.

Also, I'd totally rock one of those shift knobs on the link you posted, but it seems they no longer sell them, at least from my brief scan through that thread...

robawelch

Apr 29, 2012
WV
It seems after my research you are right. Perhaps a member or two may have one laying around? or have one custom made. Love old school!!

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
Just FYI, the TRD knobs are NOT discontinued and Curt at Elmhurst can still get them. I just ordered one this morning and he mentioned nothing about low stock or discontinued or anything. Just a 2-3 day wait and special order was all.

Part# is PTRO4-00000-05

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Trent;1837499 said:
Just FYI, the TRD knobs are NOT discontinued and Curt at Elmhurst can still get them. I just ordered one this morning and he mentioned nothing about low stock or discontinued or anything. Just a 2-3 day wait and special order was all.

Part# is PTRO4-00000-05

Good to know!