Let's see your setup

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
I am looking to do some audio upgrades and wanted to see what others have done. Please share pics your audio set setup. Thanks!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Here's my Kenwood head unit, and JBL 6.5" speakers in the KevinM pods up front. I like the way it sounds so far, but plan to add a small powered subwoofer so the door speakers don't have to do all the bass. In the back I just have some 5.25" Blaupunkt speakers.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
No problem! The rear speakers are mounted in the stock boxes. I had to drill new holes in the box for the mounting points on the 5.25" but they fit easily. That was the only modification. I don't have any pictures of this though, sorry.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I'm also about to do a stereo install this winter. Great to see some of these installs! Question for you guys though...if you run your front and rear speakers off of an amp in your trunk, would you run totally new speaker wire direct to the front and rear speakers or would you just run new speaker wire from behind the deck up front to the amp (therefore extending the wiring to goes directly to the front and rear speakers)?

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Here's a picture from my 92 of the factory component speakers in the front doors. There's also an amp under the passenger seat, but is apparently non-functional. I haven't taken it out or tinkered with it yet. I'm sure a newer aftermarket one would be light years ahead of the factory one from 92. I guess mine had the upgraded stereo, but I don't have/never seen a factory sub.
IMG_20141207_144952_780.jpg

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
suprajim54;2032800 said:
Here's a picture from my 92 of the factory component speakers in the front doors. There's also an amp under the passenger seat, but is apparently non-functional. I haven't taken it out or tinkered with it yet. I'm sure a newer aftermarket one would be light years ahead of the factory one from 92. I guess mine had the upgraded stereo, but I don't have/never seen a factory sub.
View attachment 74896

Thanks for the info. Is your under the seat amp oem factory? Pics ?

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Here are a few photos of the amp. The last one is really dark, but it was the only way I could get a picture of the part number on the foil sticker. When I got the car, there was no radio at all. So, I had Best Buy install a JVC head unit. The guy there said that the car had a factory amp (I didn't even know) but it wasn't working and he bypassed it. There's a couple extra plugs behind the head unit that I assume go to the amp. Like I said, I've never done any troubleshooting and just left it under the seat as it's not in the way of anything.

2014-07-28 20.04.13.jpgIMG_20141215_222703_835.jpg2014-07-28 20.04.40.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
3p141592654;2039394 said:
Probably not, as most stock systems stopped working along time ago. Mine sure did.

What do you mean? Was there a problem with the original radio or simply dissatisfaction? I have only seem a small handful of stock radios that I can think of. Well, in the last 10 years anyway.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I had multiple issues, eventually had to punt:

The external amp failed. I was able to repair it by replacing the output stage ICs and capacitors that were all dried up.

The tape transport failed. I replaced the rubber belts as they had all stretched and gone brittle and it worked again.

The CD would not play more than a few seconds and then it would quit and eject. I tried realigning the transport tracking, and replacing the caps hoping they were just dried up, but that did not work. Concluded the transport was bad and I needed a new one, but couldn't locate one. Gave up, and put in a newer head from a 2002 Tacoma I think it was.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nick M;2039495 said:
What do you mean? Was there a problem with the original radio or simply dissatisfaction? I have only seem a small handful of stock radios that I can think of. Well, in the last 10 years anyway.

Seems like most of them just developed issues over the years. Mine wouldn't play on the left rear channel I believe from the day I had the car which was 4.5 years ago and it only had 70k miles at the time. I grabbed another out of a junk yard and that one had an issue with it too when I tested it, but I can't remember what it was.

Both of these were the pre89 style without the CD player. I replaced it with a stock radio of an older Sequoia that matched perfectly, and then decided I wanted something more modern with bluetooth etc and went with my double din touch unit.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yeah, it is hard to even find one and see if they play. Those were quite the high dollar item back in the day. My Alpine is a fraction of the cost.