lesson learned... buy a fire extinguisher

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
as the title says, i recomend eveyone invest in one. I was on my way home from school today (2 hour drive) and i was comin to the top of a mountain and saw smoke in the rear view. so started to pull over and smoke poured threw my vents and the engine died. Got out and popped the hood and to my suprise the engine was on fire. freaking out i called 911 and tried to put it out with a sweatshirt to no avail. so im watching helplessly as every penny i had was on fire. after about 6 minutes of the engine burning a kind soul pulled over with an extinguisher and put it out. soon after the cops and fire department showed up but it was out by then. i am so thankful that it was put out before it got to the fuel and took the whole car down. in my opinion i am very very very lucky. things that died were the throttle cables, speedometer cable, intake pipes, pcv hoses,spark plug wires, coil pack, the whole wiring harness, tps, injectors are a little melty(kinda sketchy) and a few other things. and the paint on the hood bubbled and cracked. so i recommend everyone get a fire extinguisher in their car lol3.jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto.jpg

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
IJ.;1776135 said:
What's the hose laying on the WG?

ha i put that there for the picture but its the pcv hose. it was up on the firewall and came foward at the back of the head towards the valve cover vents. it went to my catch can

mecevans;1776137 said:
Wow you got lucky! very little damage and no injuries!

There's a couple at Walmart for under $20. Ill definitely be picking one up.

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...=1&search_query=fire extinguisher&_tt=fire ex

not bad. i will always have one in my car from now on. it was sad watching my engine burn and feeling very helpless. i thank god for the guy who stopped and helped. i thought it would never stop

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
Amen to being in the right place at the right time. Most people don't carry a fire extinguisher in their car, you should give that guy a hug.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Maybe the hose that goes over the wastegate melted and got oil over the exhaust? Would it burn off though, unless it was a lot, then it would catch a fire. I am not to sure on this though.

I know the 7M has the alternator up top where I have seen the hot wire short out on the hood and cause fires as well.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Thank god i didnt play with the extinguisher that came with the car.
good luck fixing it.

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
IJ.;1776143 said:
Got a recent before pic?

no i dont not of how it was setup then

MDCmotorsports;1776144 said:
What caused it

but no idea what really caused it but as some said maybe the pcv hose which was close to the exhaust area but i wouldnt think that would cAtch the whole damn engine on fire lol. i really would like to know what caused it tho.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
I learned this lesson the hard way too with a 82 onmi. Also learned that you can't piss out a car fire but it will make the cops laugh there ass off if you try.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It's unfortunate these events happen because they're almost always preventable. The key is to do modifications and maintenance correctly. That said every car should have an extinguisher and not some cheap dry powdered chemical one. Halon is the way to go. It's expensive but worth it.

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
i know there has to be but i dont know how to figure it out without getting a fire forensics team out here lol. everyhting is all crunchy and shitty. u can touch a hose and it falls to ash. but since my harness died im just gonna upgrade to a megasquirt3 now so kinda a forced ugrade. anyone need a maft pro? lol

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
A $20 dry chemical is a cheaper alternative thats better is than nothing. Halon is the way to go but expect to pay around $180 for a comparable size. If you have heaps of money into your car go ahead and get a good one. For the rest of us pick up a fair priced one.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
3.0 GT;1776265 said:
anyone need a maft pro? lol

How much for your Maft?

That's a bummer man. I was once pretty gung hoe about getting a fire extuingisher; but, the thought kind of fizzled after my car went from DD status to Weekender status. Sadly, your misfortune has re-focused my attention to getting one. So, in a weird way...THANKS! ;)

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
CajunKenny;1776407 said:
How much for your Maft?

That's a bummer man. I was once pretty gung hoe about getting a fire extuingisher; but, the thought kind of fizzled after my car went from DD status to Weekender status. Sadly, your misfortune has re-focused my attention to getting one. So, in a weird way...THANKS! ;)

haha no problem! but maft pro is sold already to a friend locally