Legality of Stainless Brake lines?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I've heard there are some stainless brake lines out there that aren't DOT apprpoved. Goodridge lists that their kit is DOT approved, but what about Earls or Porterfield?

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
The ones that are not DOT approved are not necessarily bad lines. They either can't meet the tamper proof DOT requirements or the company just didn't spend the money to get them approved. Then again, they could be cr.......p.
The problem I've heard about the stainless lines is that they burst when they break at the interface between the end of the fitting and the steel braid. The stock ones leak before they really go south.
The stainless braided ones give you better firmer brake pedal feel and of course the cool look.
A lot of people have used the stainless ones with success, but a few have had serious problems. So you have to weigh the risks.

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
There may be a legal ramification also. If you get into an accident and it comes out that you used non dot brake lines it could be grounds for liability. did I use enough qualifiers ther, dont know im just an engineer not a lawyer:icon_bigg

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
My friend in a Z club says the first thing they do is throw away the DOT tag on the lines anyway. So no one will know if it was legal or not.
If you have a problem with the brake lines rupturing, then I guess you didn't weigh the risks too good.
The screw together end fittings are suppose to be more rupture resistant than the swage end fittings. But they are not DOT anti-tamper proof like the swage ones.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bluemax said:
My friend in a Z club says the first thing they do is throw away the DOT tag on the lines anyway. So no one will know if it was legal or not.
If you have a problem with the brake lines rupturing, then I guess you didn't weigh the risks too good.
The screw together end fittings are suppose to be more rupture resistant than the swage end fittings. But they are not DOT anti-tamper proof like the swage ones.

are you insane?

the reusuable fittings are NEVER MEANT TO BE USED IN HIGH PRESSURE APPLICATIONS!!

Ask Aeromotive, BFGOODRICH, Earl, Russels and ANY hydraulic shop. That is asking for trouble right there. Crimp on fitting for high pressure application is the only way to do it right. Anything else and you are playing with fire and in the brakes case, your life.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
figgie said:
are you insane?

the reusuable fittings are NEVER MEANT TO BE USED IN HIGH PRESSURE APPLICATIONS!!

Ask Aeromotive, BFGOODRICH, Earl, Russels and ANY hydraulic shop. That is asking for trouble right there. Crimp on fitting for high pressure application is the only way to do it right. Anything else and you are playing with fire and in the brakes case, your life.

Actually the big three (Aeroquip, Earl's, and Russel) all make reusuable screw together fittings that are designed for brake and High pressure applications look at thier website and or thier catologs. I have used them many of times without any problems what so ever. Although I am not saying to use them. I am just making a point.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
I dunno... that web page that you posted sounds to me like a lot of people got ahold of some ebay stuff.

Ive run stainless lines for years (litterally. Same line on several cars) in racing. Dirt, pavement, flips you name it. I have never had one come apart on me.