Leftynridge complete restoration build thread

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
I think what he means is repairing rust is only masking the inevitable. If an area of a car is prone to rust it will happen again depending on driving conditions, how often you drive your car under certain driving conditions, and how well you take care of your car. He would feel more comfortable tearing the car down to check every possible nook and cranny and prevent rust all together.

And.... considering he is in Canada... Well conditions can be pretty ruff sometimes.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Just to give everyone an update. The subframes are at the powder coater and will be done in about a week. I will post pics of them when I get them back. Here is a link to place that is doing the powder coating. They also do ceramic coating as well. This place is like 10 min from my house and they do awesome work.

http://www.afipowder.com/

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Well I figured while I had some down time I could get some other stuff done. So I decided to go ahead and paint the engine bay.

10103781.png
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
10103771.png
10103721.png
10103671.png
10103791.png

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
I actually live in Troy. Not to far from you. The paint is dupli-color engine paint gloss black out of a spray can. If you prep it well and clear coat it good it doesn't turn out that bad at all.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
So I finally got my subframes back from Aesthetic Finishers and they look awesome. I am still waiting on my ST sway bars to be powder coated blue though. They should be done by tomorrow.
afipowder.com

10103811.png

10103801.png

10103821.png

10103831.png

10103841.png

1010266.png

I started with putting the diff in. While I was at it I went ahead in changed the fluid. Went with mobile 1 75w 90.

10103861.png

10103871.png

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OMFG... that"s freaking sweet!! I wanna do the same to my car... are you gonna stiffen the subframe as well?? Not sure how it's done but I know driftmotion sells some subframe bushings and I also read somewhere that some strategic welding helps as well...

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
lithium14;1675979 said:
OMFG... that"s freaking sweet!! I wanna do the same to my car... are you gonna stiffen the subframe as well?? Not sure how it's done but I know driftmotion sells some subframe bushings and I also read somewhere that some strategic welding helps as well...

Well from the factory Toyota actually uses a stitch weld throughout the subframe so I want to believe that this was done to allow the subframe to flex but I'm not sure. I actually went around the entire subframe and reinforced it with some stitch welds. No additional bracing. 89+ has additional bracing on it from the factory and I have been told that the 89+ seems to be the one most common to crack. It may be cause of the additional bracing adding in with the stitch weld throughout the subframe not giving enough flex and it may be just nothing at all.

Yeah driftmotion sales beech performance metal subframe bushings but I actually wanted polyurethane subframe bushings so I went with Ronnie K ploy subframe bushings. They should be here in about week in a half.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

88mk3supra;1675986 said:
Nice build man, We need to cruise sometime I live in englewood/clayton not far at all from ya I will drive out there.

Yeah that sounds awesome. It seems that you know Shane and Tyler down in Moraine. Shane will have my car very soon and will be doing a complete rebuild on my engine. I go down there a least one day a week. He does great work.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
I did not remove the old undercoat. I went around and cleaned it as good as I possibly could. As for the rust it was all surface rust. The car was from the south so it was in pretty good condition for its age. I just went around with a wire brush wheel removed the surface rust from the area. With the subframes off it made it much easier to get to some of the hard to reach areas.

I took a look at your build and you did some serious restoration work to your car and it looks great. If I had that amount of rust on my car I would have to look another direction cause I am limited on the amount of tools that I have available and there is no way that I could repair that much rust. So my hat is off to you for tackling all that rust. I to love that wire brush wheel. lol

Last edited:

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
Yea bro I am pretty cool with Shane and Tyler, Shane is the best guy i personally know to work on supras in the Dayton area! Tyler's car will be a beast when he gets it tuned and dyno'd...I am currently selling my built 7m 88 supra to buy a 2j 87 supra;) next time you go let me know I will stop out and meet ya and props on your supra keep it up!

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
88mk3supra;1676104 said:
Yea bro I am pretty cool with Shane and Tyler, Shane is the best guy i personally know to work on supras in the Dayton area! Tyler's car will be a beast when he gets it tuned and dyno'd...I am currently selling my built 7m 88 supra to buy a 2j 87 supra;) next time you go let me know I will stop out and meet ya and props on your supra keep it up!

I will diffidently let you know. Yeah Tyler's car is coming right along as well. I should end it having a fun street car to. Right now all the machine work has been completed by Alt & James. .20 Weisco pistons, Eagle rods, Clevite bearings, arp hardware, Seth's long runner ffim, hks long runner exhaust manifold, precision billet 6265, quick spool valve, aem standalone, etc...

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

supercharged;1676164 said:
I can feel how my eyes rest:aigo:amaizing job:love:

Thank you.

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
So yours is the one that Shane said was gonna be running the billet 62 that should be interesting...you will love the billet turbo and will be a very very fun street setup man

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
leftynridge;1676085 said:
I did not remove the old undercoat. I went around and cleaned it as good as a possibly could. As for the rust it was all surface rust. The car was from the south so it was in pretty good condition for its age. I just went around with a wire brush wheel removed the surface rust from the area. With the subframes off it made it much easier to get to some of the hard to reach areas.

I took a look at your build and you did some serious restoration work to your car and it looks great. If I had that amount of rust on my car I would have to look another direction cause I am limited on the amount of tools that I have available and there is no way that I could repair that much rust. So my hat is off to you for tackling all that rust. I to love that wire brush wheel. lol

I see :)
I just got a little bit scared when I saw your surface rust where the rear subframe meets the body.
Then I think you undercarriage will be free from rust for a long time :)

hehe I knew that I bought a big project when I bought my supra, but the rust project was a little bigger than I suspected. I still debating over redoing the rear arches though :-/
Thank you :)