Lean, bucking and no power

mkiiibro

Sep 25, 2009
Detroit
Alright have tried a few different searches and found nothing that fits my particular issue. Relevant Mods are: 560s lex afm, stock pump and regulator 57 trim ct26, boost controller, and wideband. Started having issues boosting after I backed the screw out of the lex afm. My car will drive and idle perfectly but as the boost gauge reads 0psi I see a lean spike along with violent cutout/ bucking loosing all power. In neutral car will free rev fine and no lean issues. Only code thrown is a 51 but it's very intermittent (assuming its ac button related). Checked for boost and vacuum leaks multiple times, found some but fixed them only to see the problem persist. What else would cause this condition/ problem? Fuel pump not switching to 12v creating a lack of fuel? Totally stumped any help is appreciated. Thanks!

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
code 51 is the tps not calibrated right
when it is not calibrated right it will make your car start jerking/jumping when you want to add a load on to it
look the tsrm for the calibration spec of your tps...recalibrated it and you should be fine

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Your 51 is not AC related but neither will the TPS cause that symptom. It could be the pump not switching. I've seen that twice before. A simple test is to jumper the pump on in the diag block and do a test drive.

mkiiibro

Sep 25, 2009
Detroit
Ok ill have to check the tps tomorrow, as well as jumping the terminals. Do you happen to know what the labels are that I need to jump?

mkiiibro

Sep 25, 2009
Detroit
alright i jumped those terminals in the box but didn't notice any difference? I also tried bypassing the resistor, as done in the 12v mod, this seemed to make the pump louder. I never noticed a whine before but after having it bypassed it seemed to make noise. Took it for a test drive this way swell, but still seem to have the same issue, although my afr's seemed a little richer but still too lean. I also unplugged the TPS while idling and it seemed to stay idling and rev out fine. Haven't had the tools to test the TPS yet but does that sound as if my TPS is out of whack or bad. Could it be a combination of bad TPS and inadequate fuel?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Simply enough to flow check. Iirc the minimum spec is 1 liter/30 seconds but doing a snap throttle test with the regulator off vacuum would be much quicker.

No difference with the TPS unplugged isn't surprising. Most here put way to much emphasis on trim sensors. An important thing to remember on these engine is, barring problems like fuel pressure, induction leaks, bad injectors, etc the TCCS is easily capable of getting the mixture within 1% of correct with nothing more than load and speed. Seems a lot of folks either don't know or forget that and make troubleshooting way more complicated than it needs to be. Not that the EFI system is usually at fault anyway, because it's not.