Leaking valve seals or piston seals?

88t

HATE EM, BUT LOVE THEM
Oct 13, 2008
Juneau, Alaska 99801
how can i tell the difference? I already have a bhg on the thing but she blows some blue smoke and uses about a 1-2 quart every 3000. I obviously cannot do a compression test with a bhg at the momment, whats another way? I was thinking a leak down test, but that would not work either with my bhg? No oil in coolant or vice versa. She smokes white and blue, haha and almost 200,000 miles on ORIGINAL HEAD GASKET!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm not understanding your rationale. What does any of it matter with the known bhg? That's like saying you know you have terminal cancer, but you're very concerned about this little bug bite you may or may not have...

You should do a full rebuild if the motor actually has 200k regardless if the valves or rings are seemingly good...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Do a compression test. Then do one with a tad bit of oil in each cylinder, If the numbers go up its the rings.

Valve stem seals will smoke on cold start up usually only unless they get really bad.

Having a bhg has nothing to do with compression testing and is usually one of the things you want to check when you think you have one. That a leak down test and block test.

88t

HATE EM, BUT LOVE THEM
Oct 13, 2008
Juneau, Alaska 99801
suprarx7nut;1761232 said:
I'm not understanding your rationale. What does any of it matter with the known bhg? That's like saying you know you have terminal cancer, but you're very concerned about this little bug bite you may or may not have...

You should do a full rebuild if the motor actually has 200k regardless if the valves or rings are seemingly good...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

It matters because my thought of compression testing a engine with a known bhg would not be accurate. The head gasket does create the seal to actually allow compression in the cylinder bore, thus why i probably not perform one. I already know im going to have low compression with that test. That still does not give me an answer to my oil consumption. I do have an oil pan leak, a tiny one, but i did not mention that do to not being a cause.

I do understand your rational with a full rebuild with the engine reaching almost 200k miles. But that still does not answer why my engine consumes oil.

I have two issues going on, oil loss and a bhg.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

hvyman;1761238 said:
Do a compression test. Then do one with a tad bit of oil in each cylinder, If the numbers go up its the rings.

Valve stem seals will smoke on cold start up usually only unless they get really bad.

Having a bhg has nothing to do with compression testing and is usually one of the things you want to check when you think you have one. That a leak down test and block test.

I totaly agree with you but this still does not answer my original question of actually knowing why my engine uses oil. A leak down test would tell me if my valves are leaking or if my rings are leaking only correct? I still would not know what the actual problem would be. If my head gasket was good, had good compression, then i would point to the valve guides/seals being worn. Im just in a perdictimint where i can not answer on why?

is there any other ways to know why my oil is being consumed/burned/escaping/seeping/magiclyfuckingdisapearing!!? ha.

88t

HATE EM, BUT LOVE THEM
Oct 13, 2008
Juneau, Alaska 99801
The leaks that it has are comming from the oil pan. Not a concern in this matter as it is a minimal ammount. It smokes all the damn time. Blue at startup along with white;does this at all rpm. Hince my problem, haha.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
then do a compression test and a block test.

blue is oil. white can be oil or coolant.

That will rule out bhg and it could just be valve stem seals. Wont know without testing. IF hg is good then its valve stem seals.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Here, I'll answer your question.

You have a BHG.
Your valve stems seals are definately gone at 200K miles. Period.
Your piston rings are more than likely worn out with 200K miles. BHG contamination will just make them worse.
If you keep driving it, your already well worn bottom end is going to let go from coolant contaminating the oil, forcing a more expensive full rebuild.

The answers don't matter. The engine needs to come apart for a BHG, and the head will need work so the valve stem seals would be replaced. If you're that far into the engine that has 200K miles and you don't rebuild the bottom end, it's all going to end in tears shortly down the road when you have to have the entire thing pulled back apart.

Your milage may vary, but 200K miles is already pushing it, and you have a BHG on top of it.

ianstaley

Jul 21, 2011
Pontefract
88t;1761688 said:
See thats my problem... i already have a bhg so how is that going to tell me anything????????

Old fart here to give my 10cents worth. Blue smoke is OIL, end of story, White smoke after warming up is water, end of story. Reasons for the Oil can be atributed to several things, oil rings fuck*d or Valve shaft wear equates to fuck*d, simple answerr my car has done 200 000. Change the fuck*ng valve guides, change the top hats (seal), get the block rebord, this will mean NEW pistons, NEW rings and while I was at it get the crank done too also with NEW bits. Other solution, scrap car buy another. Simple. :yikes:

Last edited:

onemancrew

Feb 7, 2012
Sydney
ianstaley;1769332 said:
Blue smoke is OIL, end of story, White smoke after warming up is water, end of story. [/QUOTE

I dunno what end of story means.... because...

Correction: Under combustion oil will smoke blue, but if it leaks directly onto a hot exhaust manifold from without being combusted, it will smoke white!