lapping plate

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
so i heard through the grape vine that someone here loans/rents out lapping plates. i cant seem to find a local shop that even knows what a lapping plate is if someone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Try a machinery supply shop, they're a common tool.

Not keen on the little round plates as they're easily overpowered by "muscle" and can leaves a less than flat surface, the plate I use is 12"x12" with centre mounted handles you use to guide it, as always Lapping is ONLY a finishing process used to smooth a true/flat surface left by the milling machine.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
I found a nice one in the industrial section of eBay.
6x13 inches, cost me $35 + shipping.
There is a lot of good deals up there on industrial equipment.

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
IJ.;1656668 said:
Try a machinery supply shop, they're a common tool.

Not keen on the little round plates as they're easily overpowered by "muscle" and can leaves a less than flat surface, the plate I use is 12"x12" with centre mounted handles you use to guide it, as always Lapping is ONLY a finishing process used to smooth a true/flat surface left by the milling machine.

Yeah that's what I thought....but everyone here in Nola looks at me like I'm retarded when I say the words lapping and plate in the same sentence. How much did that 12x12 plate cost you? I was only looking for a 8x8

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
IJ - Did you cut grooves in your plate or leave it flat? I had grooves at a 30 degree angle on one side and flat on the other side.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
That sounds like it would cut very well IJ

For those reading the this, a lapping plate with grooves in it will cut more aggressive that a flat plate. Generally you would use the grooved side to start, and a the flat side for the final finish. Not that our MHG's need more that just the grooved side.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I've been using it with Diamond paste and it's quick/easy/economical, I haven't rolled the diamond paste onto it though I think even with a fine grade it would be far too aggresive so just dab some around the deck with some veggie oil (canola) and go to town.