Koyo Radiator Probs?

DMB-87Supra

May 31, 2007
Northeastern Pennsylvania
I was under the impression that these were direct fit, but apparently they aren't due to the issues I'm having trying to put one in. The bottom pins are probably 1/2"-1" off toward the passenger side (can't push it over, mainly A/C lines in the way and the battery area from what I can tell).. Also, the top is quite a bit wider (which I could probably find a way to clamp). So basically, are they supposed to be direct fit, and I'm just looking for some ideas of how to secure the radiator (mainly on the bottom) if it isn't supposed to be direct fit. Thanks in advance.. This is for an '87 N/A btw.

William

Apr 16, 2007
Virginia
DMB-87Supra;1370144 said:
I was under the impression that these were direct fit, but apparently they aren't due to the issues I'm having trying to put one in. The bottom pins are probably 1/2"-1" off toward the passenger side (can't push it over, mainly A/C lines in the way and the battery area from what I can tell).. Also, the top is quite a bit wider (which I could probably find a way to clamp). So basically, are they supposed to be direct fit, and I'm just looking for some ideas of how to secure the radiator (mainly on the bottom) if it isn't supposed to be direct fit. Thanks in advance.. This is for an '87 N/A btw.

koyo radiator fitted fine in my Turbo with no problems

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
tekdeus;1370318 said:
Maybe the turbo rad is different from N/A? I just installed a new Koyo last week and it fit perfect.

Stock rad is the same for ge-gte...can't see koyo doing it diff.

Sounds like mfg defect or the wrong part# rad.

bosco659

Toyota nut
Oct 11, 2005
Canada
My Koyo aluminum rad fit fine in my '89 7MGTE car with the following exceptions (which were expected):
- had to trim the bottom rubber mounts to shorten them as the aluminum rad is taller than stock
- fan shroud mounts ok at top but had to fabricate special brackets to attach it at the bottom of the rad

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Same as him ^^

Though I've noticed that the side parts rest on the sides of the radiator support (NOT good as it's not supposed to be grounded).

Koyo's seem to have gone downhill. The old ones were made in Japan and said Koyo Race on top, now they say KoyoRad and are made in India...