Knocking under load

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
Hey guys i got a fresh engine build woth new rods and piston and new used standered crankshaft and acl bearings and also king main bearings. I know i put everything together right and torque to specs except thr rods, some of the rods i had to loosen because i couldnt turn the crank so its loosen by like 5pounds. Any ways the car idles fine it just has a piston slap. When i rev it ,it sounds good.but when i drive it under load it knocks or piston slaps loud or somthing like that, when i hold it at load it faints away but when i go higher it knocks except when its at 3500-4000rpm it also faints away. Idk if it goes away once its breaks in. Idk if it is a rod or igition timing. Lmk what you think it is or what i should do or if you have questions

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like it wasnt built properly. If you had to loosen the bolts for the crank to spin then your bearing clearance is too tight. And if you have a lot of piston slap then your piston to bore clearance is too much as well. I would start over as that is the only thing you can do to fix this issue.

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
like i said im pretty sure i did the bottom end right sorta. well like you said i probly built it improperly so i took the motor out and opend up the oil pan. the rods are still on there really good , no knocking and its not loose. so its not a rod knock. right now im guessing its the piston now, either its hitting the valves or somthing idk. well i guess i timed it wrong during when i was trying to ignition timed it. if anyone could try to help me time it that would be nice, because the car dosent have a cold start, and once it warms up the idle gos a bit higher.

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
and also the pistons and bearings are standered, i dont how or why the clearence would be too much, unless i was suppose to go undersize.

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
hvyman;2055398 said:
Sounds like it wasnt built properly. If you had to loosen the bolts for the crank to spin then your bearing clearance is too tight. And if you have a lot of piston slap then your piston to bore clearance is too much as well. I would start over as that is the only thing you can do to fix this issue.
^ this...
Maybe caps were put on backwards / wrong rod. If the crank wont turn when caps are torqued then you have a clearance issue.

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
WOw. I dont know if this was making the noise but, while i was loosening the head bolt there was 3 cam caps on the exhaust cams that were loose. i guess this was probly the knock? now i dont know if i should continue to take off the head or just tightin the head bolts and cams down and put everything back in the car. i dont think i put the rods in backwards, i got brand new rods that are cx racing an i dont think it had a front or back sign on it.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Oh my...

Ok, first you have a bearing clearance issue. You might also have a piston slap. What did you use to check your piston and oil clearances? If your response is anything along the lines of "nothing" or "what are those?" then you need to tear the motor down. After that you need to stop and educate yourself about the importance of mechanical specifications and how to check them. Then, once you are confident you understand at least the basics of building a motor, you can measure your block and crank and have them machined accordingly. Then get bearings and pistons that are the correct fit. Then maybe you can put together a motor without using hillbilly engineering.

EDIT: I just read the entirety of the train wreck that is your post history. You're beyond helping. You consistently disregard the advice of the experienced members of this community and seem to have a delusional belief that you can fix any problem for a small fraction of what it cost other members. While there is a steep learning curve for members that are new to these cars, you have had yours for over three years and still don't seem to understand even the most basic concepts of mechanical work or the cost of owning this car. My advice is that you sell it and buy a Honda.

-AM3

Last edited:

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
Another MkIII;2058203 said:
EDIT: I just read the entirety of the train wreck that is your post history. You're beyond helping. You consistently disregard the advice of the experienced members of this community and seem to have a delusional belief that you can fix any problem for a small fraction of what it cost other members. While there is a steep learning curve for members that are new to these cars, you have had yours for over three years and still don't seem to understand even the most basic concepts of mechanical work or the cost of owning this car. My advice is that you sell it and buy a Honda.

-AM3

Sounds awfully like Aloshan