Knocking/ticking

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
So, just day before yesterday the oil was changed, also the plugs and belts (like 80k km maintenance). The mechanic said, the valve cover gasket (?) should be changed and also water pump leaks.
Noow yesterday we pushed the car a bit, to see what was whining at 4,5k+ rpms and we found out that's probably the muffler, so the car got some ''beating'' (not much, a little, dad once hit redline).
On our way back we noticed this ticking/knocking at about 2k rpm. We didin't make much of it. But after I started the car at home, I noticed this ticking as the engine throws rpms up upon start. then as the rpms lower, the ticking/knocking goes away.
At idle I can't hear anything, but when I revved yesterday (in neutral), at about 2k rpm it ticked. Today, at 2,5k I heard something like grinding:icon_conf (though the ticking upon start persists)
I didn't have enough guts to push it more though, to see whether it gets louder.
The car is going back to the mechanics in couple days, but I would like to know from you. My dad though, maybe valve ticking, but idk.... No rod knock I hope, it has been replaced with a new OEM one not so very long ago (rebuild done)

Thanks in advance for all your help:icon_razz

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
ValgeKotkas said:
Under Injector clips you mean the Connector Terminal?

No, he means the connectors that plug into your fuel injectors. Injectors when they fail or become faulty Ive heard make a ticking sound, hes having you start there I believe. Process of elimination.

Another way to check is to take a stethoscope and check each valve cover, and ur bottom end. I had a spun bearing and when it happened I knew, the car ran like complete ass.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
ValgeKotkas said:
I must say it ran OK, but knocked...But I shall try the plugs. Thanks.

Welcome. Try those first. Also after my rebuild I immediately had a ticking from top end, I freaked for a good 15 mins thinking it was rod knock again. was so upset. Turns out I put in the valve shims in the wrong order.. *DOH!*

Im fixing that next weekend but the ticking did go away after 5 mins, never came back....

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I think mine comes too from the top of the engine, but we'll see...
Also one more thing, should I take the plugs out while the engine runs or?

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Yeah while its running, might die on you, I think, but try it.

What I did to stop mine, which isnt recommended, I ran some of that marvel mystery oil additive shit for 100 miles, it stopped after like 2 and i changed the oil again, still never came back.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Okei, as I went to garage to check, my dad opened the rad and noticed, it wasn't filled with coolant, or maybe not enough filled:icon_conf . Seems like the mechanic didn't do the job properly. So now, until we buy some coolant, the car won't be started. We'll see what happens tomorrow:nono:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
phoenix6 said:
No, he means the connectors that plug into your fuel injectors. Injectors when they fail or become faulty Ive heard make a ticking sound, hes having you start there I believe. Process of elimination.

Another way to check is to take a stethoscope and check each valve cover, and ur bottom end. I had a spun bearing and when it happened I knew, the car ran like complete ass.

IJ advice was meant to check if the ticking was the rod bearings. If the knocking stops, that unloaded cylinder has bad bearings.

The stethoscope idea is good advice too.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
trydrew said:
IJ advice was meant to check if the ticking was the rod bearings. If the knocking stops, that unloaded cylinder has bad bearings.

The stethoscope idea is good advice too.

Oh my mistake, I remember reading something about injectors ticking when not working properly. Never heard of unplugging one to check for bearing issues.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The noise going away when a given injector is disconnected could signify either. If the noise goes away with the injector disconnected and then with the injector reconnected and the spark plug wire disconnected you've got the cylinder and it's not an injector or shim issue.

Just pickup an inexpensive stethoscope.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Get a wooden broom handle and shave the ends and hold it to your temple.
It works the same way and is alot cheaper.

I'm not arguing with you CRE. Please don't think I am.

Last edited:

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Lol, now why would I think that?

Using ratchet extensions works well too in a pinch. ;)

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
supramacist said:
Get a wooden broom handle and shave the ends and hold it to your temple.
It works the same way and is alot cheaper.

I'm not arguing with you CRE. Please don't think I am.

Ok someone posted that as a really BAD idea to do, forgot why, but yeah Im not stickin anything on my engine then to my temple LOL....

Need to find that post...