knocking and smoking

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
As soon as I turn the engine on I hear knocking.then after it idles and reaches normal running temp it starts to smoke behind the end of the down pipe.I look underneath and still can't tell where and why its smoking.I do see some smoke coming from the catalytic converter.Haven't seen any traces of antifreeze in the oil but smell gas in the oil on the dipstick.can my turbo be going out the door cause when I drive it,it has now power or pickup.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Shaz;1708331 said:
At least it's easier to maintain.

Sounds like the turbo isn't the only thing that's broken.

+1 Or its not the turbo at all. Either way, i'd say you're in for quite the auto repair bill very soon. Without knowing what how any of this works or what causes what you wont be able to do it yourself. Thats why i said to buy a civic.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Oil that smells like gas = Don't drive the car and do an oil change like right now and figure out the problem like now before the bottom end (among other things) isn't toast... Although it's probably already there.

D.J.T.;1708388 said:
a blown 7MGTE & hg!!! :runaway:
I've NEVER seen this happen to a 7m -=insert sarcasm=-
enjoi.this;1708355 said:
knock knock, whos there..??
most likely ;]
OfnaRcR4;1708358 said:
Oil that smells like gas = Don't drive the car and do an oil change like right now and figure out the problem like now before the bottom end (among other things) isn't toast... Although it's probably already there.
+1
Gas can thin the oil and cause bearing damage....don't drive it anymore until you figure out what the problem is. Possibly a good sound quality video would help. You can also get a automotive stethoscope, and isolate where the knocking is coming from. This will help out a lot. You possibly have exhaust leaks near the Cat, and the white smoke makes them visible. If you've never done a rebuild and are dedicated to automotive work, have a clean space with tools, and wanna save some money(vs a shop), the supra is a great icebreaker ;]

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
check if your valve covers are leaking from the rear. the smoke could be just leaked oil burning off when it reaches operating temperature.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

and the knocking I have is coming from somewhere in the tranny. step on the clutch and see if it goes away, if you're manual that is.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
I'm just gona ha e to bite the bullet and replace the bearings.I was just hoping it was something else.Like the 3 year old gas thats been sitting in the gas tank that's been making it knock.Plus I should of put 2&2 together when my friend gave me the car he had it jacked up and the front end was dropped with the oil pan off.He wanted to replace the bearings.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
When he gave you the car free, or did you pay for it? If you bought this car from him shame on him for not telling you the car had problems. Shame on you for not asking what was up with the car especially when you knew he had the oil pan off for some reason. Nobody would drop the front subfame & oil pan if there wasn't a major problem. Are you mechanically inclined? Can you follow a manual and turn some wrenches?

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
He didn't tell me it had knocking issues,he just said that he wanted to replace them.I put the subframe back up so I know how to take it down.my friends told and showed me how to replace the bearings.I have to be carefull and not push the pistons up to far due to I might not be able to pull them back down after replacing the old ones.ill have support on standby incase needed.he gave it to me due to if I would help him around his shop with other mechanical projects.I should of realized it was to good to be true to be GIVEN a 7MGTE.But I'm gona love the experience.I LOVE WORKING ON MA71'S.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
You may end up having to pull the motor since in most cases when you get rod knock it wrecks the crank and/or rod. If there is any scoring on the crank or the bearing shells dont fit tight in the rods, the motor needs to come out for machining.. :(