knock sensors...

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Yes.

I took my N/A knock sensor and used it for 1 of the 2 required KS in my 7MGTE. Works fine as far as I know.

No codes ::knocks on wood::

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Supra Blues said:
Yes.

I took my N/A knock sensor and used it for 1 of the 2 required KS in my 7MGTE. Works fine as far as I know.

No codes ::knocks on wood::

DONT KNOCK ON THAT WOOD!!! it'll hear you...
jeez.. code 52. too late

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
On my 87 N/A it was underneath the intake manifold right about in the middle.

Your 90 might have two, but it was my understanding that only the turbo's had to KS's.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supra90turbo said:
DONT KNOCK ON THAT WOOD!!! it'll hear you...
jeez.. code 52. too late

heh, rodknock wont give you a code 52. code 52 is only if the sensor is bad, or if the wires are shorted out.

when the sensors detect knock, they retard the timing, and enrichen the fuel mixture. yet another failsafe designed by toyota.

and to answer the previous two questions, all N/A's have one knock sensor located in the middle of the block, under the intake manifold, and all turbo models have two knock sensors, one near the starter, and one in the front of the block.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
dirgle said:
My bad. Damn I'm Batting a thousand today. I worked on a friends N/A and it had two? Guess he had a turbo block. Wierd.

either it was a turbo block, or (dont take this wrong, as i'm not being a dick) you dont know what knock sensors look like. (again, dont take that wrong, i'm not questioning your intelligence!!!) :icon_bigg

i demand pics!!! :)

-shaeff

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
It's cool. No offence taken. :bigthumb:

I'm pretty sure I know what the knock sensor are, seeing as I’ve done the KS rewire twice on two different turbo cars. Plus I have two Knock Sensors sitting in a Ziploc bag out in storage.

Here is the knock sensors on my block(a 7MGTE to avoid confusion). Don't have a pic of his.

p8656_1.jpg

I don't know what was up with my friends car. He lives in denver and bought the car with a bad starter. It had a dead spot in it. So I helped him replace it and I seem to remember two knock sensors. It was a 1987 N/A. I don't know what was up. I had to head back to Craig before we got the chance to start it. So maybe it didn't even run? Don't know.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
sweet. i'm always worried that i'm going to come off sounding like a dick. :drink1: i'm willing to bet he has a turbo block then, because all N/A's came with only one KS. i wonder if he has turbo pistons too... lower compression etc... you now have me curious haha.

-shaeff