Kiraush's Dream Car

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
This'll be a slow build up, I'm just about to turn twenty-one and I've been living on my own paycheck to paycheck since I was seventeen.
But I'll do what I can as fast as I can, and hopefully there will be very few problems in between!

Some Context(You can skip it if you want):
I lost my father when I was very young, but almost every memory I have of him, and every photo I have of us, he was trying to teach four year old me stuff about his cars.
He had three Celicas, his '77 he drove and two 77ish ones he used for parts when he needed them but his ultimate goal was to fix them up.

To keep his memory with me at all times, and because I honestly like them, I got an '80 Celica as my first car.
It was in dire need of repair to say the least, but I loved it none-the-less.

I hit an oil-slick (with tires that desperately needed replaced) and hit a guard-rail, denting the front of the car too badly for me to fix it (Being a unibody and all)
So I quicksold it for 500$ (I bought it for 800 and put about 300 into it) and bought an '89

Purchasing her:
So, I had an '89 Toyota Celica I had been working on for a few months, got it for 500$ and put about 300-400$ into it and it was fully functional and my Daily Driver.
I was searching on Craigslist for another Celica for my sister (Just turned 18, getting her license soon) and I would occassionally search for Supras just for the fun of it to see if anyone in Southern Oregon honestly owned (and wanted to sell) an MK4 Supra

I noticed a posting for an '87 Supra and he only wanted 2500 for it, assuming it was probably thrashed and a good mechanics special I opened it and saw this:
bcApJC5.jpg

Hv9tyeC.jpg

EVb6LnM.jpg

I thought "Well damn, it actually looks pretty nice. I guess it's missing a hood but I could probably find one of those if I hunted hard enough"
Read through the ad and he said it only needed a new o2sensor and something was wrong with the power steering

My '80 Celica didn't have power steering, so I could live with it till I could get it fixed or replace the power steering pump, especially if it meant having the closest thing to my dream car that I could get.

I called him up and scheduled to meet up with him, asked him a few questions and had my uncle come with to check it out (He's been a mechanic for about 25-30 years)

The owner was seventeen and his mom was the person I talked to at first, it was his daily driver and they had got it a month ago from a guy in Springfield, Oregon.
The guy had kept a detailed novel on this cars life, from purchasing it in '87 (He was the first owner) till selling it, everything, there's even a few gas receipts from times he filled it from nearly empty.
New clutch(es), tires, paint job, all that stuff.

So, obviously, I had to ask why he didn't want it? This car is beautiful, and the answer I got literally made me laugh.

This seventeen year old is passing up on an '87 Toyota Supra, 7M-GTE Turbo mind you, because his first car was a Nissan 240SX and he felt the Supra was too heavy to drift and he wanted another 240SX.

I was speechless, but to cut that story short, I borrowed about 1,500$ from a few family members, they were all for the reason, and I got it.

Taking her home:

Pulling up to my grandparents house, my cheeks literally hurt from smiling so wide.
I couldn't believe I finally owned a Supra.

8edS2JJ.jpg

UJs3PCW.jpg

2Hd7vWl.jpg

As you can see in the hatch, the previous owner even still had the stock rims (with tires) that the car came with, before he put the Voxx rims on.

Pl3hkN9.jpg

I checked the oil and dropped the stock rims off at my house and decided I wanted to take her on a test drive, reset the travel meter and drove until I felt I should turn around, 55 miles later I was turning around and took this

wK1aJO2.jpg

Building her Up and Life after Purchase:
The oil was about a quart low, so I called up the kid to ask what oil he had been using
"Mototech" he said, I had never heard of it, but I had also never owned a high-end sports car and assumed it was just a high-end oil.
Called my grandpa up and he had never heard of it
Googled it, it's Fred Meyer's brand of oil
What...

Scratched the last 100$ out of my account and literally walked (It's not THAT long of a walk) to the Napa auto parts near my grandparents and bought four quarts of Castrol GTX and a Gold filter and walked back to my grandparents about 30$ more poor to do an oil change

mTXybMY.jpg

Jump forward four months, spoiled rich girl doesn't know how to drive.
Has her blinker on to take a right turn in the opposite lane of me, we're turning onto a one way road.

She commits to her right in her daddies 120,000$ M6 BMW, I commit to me left, she swerves to go straight instead of turning, into my dream car.

xdDtIKUl.jpg

hQFhLNtl.jpg

She hands the cop a fake insurance card or something like that, the information I was given was for State Farm and they had no knowledge of who she was and the car was not in their systems.
She also cried her way out of her ticket, and the cop instead tickets me for "Dangerous Left Turn"

Call her and tell her I need to take her to court.

Get a call from her dad a few days later with him telling me if I drag his daughter through the court system he will drag out the process until I have to file bankruptcy.

Give up on the court route, sell all my worldly possessions, N64, NES, All my musical instruments, Computer.

Buy new shell
Shell has a targa top (Roof pops off)
Shell is the stock white pearl color that I love
Shell has blue interior instead of burgundy
Shell is in a beautiful condition
Shell is to a T my dream '87-88 Supra, not one that I'm settling for.

tnn4qlDl.jpg

IJmK8Qkl.jpg

Pull the motor from the old one

w4eceYwl.jpg

12/5/2013 - Update

Sold the last of my N64 games as well as my Clarinet and ordered parts on the 30th of Novemeber, or sometime around there

zrGyviA.jpg

The Radiator, which is the important one, should be arriving later today, maybe tomorrow (Should have got here on the 3rd or 4th but because of storms in the middle of the US the package deliveries for the west coast are delayed, logic?)

wu6AI8L.jpg

New Headlights getting put in

KDdA6jDl.jpg

New full aluminum radiator put in (DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CXRACING, EVERYTHING THEY SELL IS "BOLT IN" WHEN ALL OF IT NEEDS TO BE ALTERED IN SOME WAY, we've decided this after I got my radiator for my supra, a friend got an intercooler for his miata, and two other friends got things and none of it fit)

PJDHnQNl.jpg

First start-up, timing was shit but we fixed that after this.

[video=youtube;NURd9O65Mow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURd9O65Mow[/video]

Took this for the friend who's helping me diagnose as much stuff as we can figure out, might as well put it in here for you guys.

Can't take it to 6k because if I floor it I hit fuel cut (I think? Basically the whole car jerks hard, and the check engine light turns on for three seconds)
and driving a stickshift with one hand is pretty difficult! Never did it before this

[video=youtube;o5SI4qww3-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SI4qww3-U[/video]
My car may not be expensive with some hyped up brand name,
But my car is rare,
and my car is a product of my blood, sweat, time and effort,
I love my car, and I loved my dad.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I like your story. Good luck with the car.
That last pic looks like your dog is acting as a second jack stand.

As for your window problem, its the switch, not the wiring. The contacts inside get dirty.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
supraguy@aol;1943238 said:
I like your story. Good luck with the car.
That last pic looks like your dog is acting as a second jack stand.

As for your window problem, its the switch, not the wiring. The contacts inside get dirty.
Glad you enjoyed it, I still can't believe I own one.
and yes, my dog was very interested in trying to help with the oil change, heh.

Thank goodness, I was hoping it was just a wiring problem. :) Thank you

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Zumtizzle;1943561 said:
our engines take 6 quarts. ;)

welcome

Yes! This!
Underfill a 7M, and your next thread will be titled "strange knocking noise, what is it?".... Followed closely by the all-too-popular "should i rebuild, or just go JZ?" Thread.
:)

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Nobody has told you yet but retorque the head bolts!!! I personally use normal oll 10w-30w napa brand oil in all my cars to save a few bucks. Just change it every 3k and it will do good.

Rather than a sound system a divorced downpipe/3 inch exhaust might be something to look into. Listen to that beautiful engine!
Welcome and good luck.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I get the impression that you appreciate this car. That makes me happy because it means you will treat the car well. Be sure to explore the forums and learn all that you can. There's a lot to learn here and it will all contribute to a strong and healthy Supra.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I would straight up...killabiatch.

Actually, same thing happened to me way back before you were a sperm cell:

1988....Daytona Beach, Spring break. I'm in the left lane, behind a truck that's waiting to make a left turn into a parking lot.
Drunk bitch in a Honda rear ends me at 30mph. Luckily, my foot was firmly on the brake pedal, but she still shoved me, tires locked, forward 5 feet.
She gives me expired insurance info from NJ. I call her parents, and they give me her phone number at college. She wouldn't answer the phone.
2 days later, I call her parents again, and they NOW say that they have no idea how to get ahold of their daughter. NO IDEA. Fukkin loser parents. I see where their daughter got her ethics.

ANYWAY, I feel better now for ranting. Lemme know if you need any parts- maybe I have them.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
supraguy@aol;1982438 said:
Lemme know if you need any parts- maybe I have them.
I might need a new accordion pipe if the guy I'm trying to buy one from falls through, but I think we'll get it all figured out. We're both just hit-and-missing each other because of the holidays.

I do have a curiousity though, walked out of Fred Meyer (Grocery store) to some kids standing around my car, seemingly checking it out, and when they noticed I was walking more-or-less straight towards them they all walked away.
Checked out my car and it was fine, but when I popped my hatch, then shut it, I noticed my wing was loose on the left side (as though someone yanked up on it)

The little (fiberglass?) brackets inside the hatch are broken, is there a good way to fix this? or should I just figure a good DIY way to secure it?

supraguy@aol;1982440 said:
PS- Saw your video. Did you get all the cylinders to fire yet? Sounds like it's definitely running on 4 or 5.

Not entirely sure, we're going to mess with the timing more on New Years Eve.
I don't think I'm experienced enough to know how different it would sound on 4-5 cylinders rather than all 6

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SI4qww3-U Maybe you can tell?
Can't take it to 6k RPMs because I hit fuel cut around 5,500 if I really get on it, but
You can hear everything pretty well because my interior isn't put together yet, my whole dash is still pretty much disassembled because I am still figuring out small wiring problems, as well as getting ready to put a sound system in.

Turbo is also making a squeaky noise, and I need to adjust my dust shield so it stops making that tinkering noise XD

It's a work-in-progress!

Last edited:

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Hey FYI I am in Vancouver WA if you get to a point where you can make it up here I'll check everything over for you.... If you would like
I also have tons of parts

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
jdmfreak;1982447 said:
Hey FYI I am in Vancouver WA if you get to a point where you can make it up here I'll check everything over for you.... If you would like
I also have tons of parts
That's right across the bridge from Portland isn't it?
I'd most certainly take you up on that at if so, I love meeting new Supra owners, was a treat meeting John and Matthew Kendall in Stayton when I bought my shell from John, considering he's the biggest player in the "Saving Oregon's Supras" game

I live in Southern Oregon, but I have family and friends in Portland because I did live up there at one point.

MightyAl;1982448 said:
Sad to see another hard top bite the dust. Glad to see it didnt deter you from being a mk3 owner. It isn't a car for the faint of heart.

It was a big setback, and it hurt a lot.
I didn't get out of the car for a good five minutes because I was talking myself through it and preparing myself for what I knew had just happened to my car.

I wont let some spoiled bitch with no taste in vehicles take away the one joy I have.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Kiraush;1982449 said:
I'd most certainly take you up on that at if so, I love meeting new Supra owners, was a treat meeting John and Matthew Kendall in Stayton when I bought my shell from John, considering he's the biggest player in the "Saving Oregon's Supras" game

Good people. Yes, my supra has quite a few of their parts on it..... Saved my ass the first and the second time....

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Kiraush;1982443 said:
I do have a curiousity though, walked out of Fred Meyer (Grocery store) to some kids standing around my car, seemingly checking it out, and when they noticed I was walking more-or-less straight towards them they all walked away.
Checked out my car and it was fine, but when I popped my hatch, then shut it, I noticed my wing was loose on the left side (as though someone yanked up on it)

The little (fiberglass?) brackets inside the hatch are broken, is there a good way to fix this? or should I just figure a good DIY way to secure it?

Do you mean these little plastic brackets??
p1982525_1.jpg

If so, a couple of mine were broken, too. I just reinforced them with some carbon fiber chunks that I had laying around and fiberglassed over it.... they are never going to be seen under there, so they don't look pretty, but they're not going to break. Then I just made a new... gasket, I guess, for them out of some sticky-backed sheets of vent foam that I found at home depot.... If you can understand what on Earth I am saying, it worked pretty good.

Last edited: