Keys please!

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
ok heres the deal i lost the keys to my main car and i was wondering if the cylinders for the door and ignition word are interchangeable? i haven't had a chance to look for myself yet so i'm trying to double my chances of figuring this out.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
depending on what dealer you go to they can take your vin number and make a new key from it (you have to bring the title so they know its yours) some dealers databases dont go back that far so you would have to remove your passenger lock and there is a code inprinted on it they can use

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
It's a national database, all dealers have access to the same codes. The only possible difference is if the national database doesn't have it, but the car was bought at a specific dealer.

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
actually any lock smith(auto ones atleast) will be able to cut it for you if you get them the key code...most dealerships where i live won't be able to cut a key based from the vin...their reasoning is that the car is too old..

to get the lock code...you will have to take the interior door panel off. its easy and straight forward. just pray that your lock cylinders aren't to oxidized.

i lost all my keys and all i did was call a CAA lock guy and he did it all right there. CAA is like your AAA i think its called. They are the roadside assistance places.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
locksmith to pop the door, then remove the passenger side lock cylinder and get the code... get key cut from code and be done...

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
From what I am told. If you removed the passenger side door cover there are some number on that lock cylinder. Take that number to toyota and they should make a key base off that number. Thats what I was told for mine but have not tried yet since toyota is so far from me and I am too lazy.

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Boss302 said:
ok heres the deal i lost the keys to my main car and i was wondering if the cylinders for the door and ignition word are interchangeable? i haven't had a chance to look for myself yet so i'm trying to double my chances of figuring this out.[/QUOTE

Since your car is an "87" you will have to get the # from the pass. lock cyl.
and take it to your dealer to have a dupe made. I called Toyota Corp. off.
(cust service) and they said they do not keep records of vin #s for cars of that age-----