keith's swap to swap(1jz>2jz+more),empty pockets again(pics)

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
here we go with round two.i never really got my 1jz to the point where i wanted it.i planned on doing more work to it this spring.then a friend offered me an awesome deal on his project car(89 mkIII).i ended up parting out his car and made back half of what i spent on buying it.i ended up keeping the heart from the car,which was a 95 usdm 2jzgte.the car was a runner,but was sitting for a good 6 month's.i got the car to my house and started taking it appart,which wasn't fun at all.i wanted to blow chunks working on it ,because some animal's had made a home on the cam cover's.the biggest suprise was when i pulled the coil cover and found the whole sparkplug galley was filled with rat shit:barf: .i mean you could smell it when you popped the hood,but DAMN WHAT A MESS(simple green time)
now the plan is to swap the 1jz out and the 2jz in using some of the part's off the 1jz.even though the motor had low mile's the twin's had some shaft play.the previous owner tried disabling the sequential set-up,but didn't really do it right.so the rear turbo wasn't spooling and the front one was getting hammmered.the turbo off my 1jz is going on the 2jz to save a little cash.
now i promise i'm a better wrench then photographer:biglaugh:
this is the 1jz as it was
p591420_1.jpg

this is the way the car stood when i took it appart again.never got to paint it because of money at the time and wanted to drive it over the summer
p591420_2.jpg

Last edited:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
this is an r154 that i did a rebuild on.it was supposed to get mated to the 1jz this spring.hope it work's good
p591431_1.jpg

tran's broken down on the bench
p591431_2.jpg

a pic of a bearing from mdc's tran's kit.you can see how many more roller's it has over the stock.i'm sure they must be alot stronger
p591431_3.jpg

here's the 2jz on the engine stand after a bit of cleaning.sorry no pic's of all the rat shit
p591431_4.jpg

billet timing belt tensioner on the side of the stocker
p591431_5.jpg

this is the turbo off the 1jz bolted up with a china e-bay special mani.this manifold suck's,what a bad fit.they must have been hitting the bottle before drilling the hole's in the flange.the manifold doesn't have a cocked t4 flange either,making it hard to get clearance for my 4" intake pipe.

p591431_6.jpg

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Looks like a fun project. Do you have any plans for the 1JZ then?

Don't worry, I never wanted to see pics of the rat shit.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
mobes said:
Looks like a fun project. Do you have any plans for the 1JZ then?

Don't worry, I never wanted to see pics of the rat shit.
i was going to part some of it out,once i get the motor pulled.
here is a pic of the 2jz with the pan off.it's super clean with no sludge at all.you can see the oil squirter's and the shitty casting slag off tto the side of it.

p591463_1.jpg

all buttoned back up
p591463_2.jpg

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
if you got the 1j ecu and harness all set up in the car, just hook it up tothe 2j, wiring problem solved. hope you have a really fun time swapping that, cuz it looks like your going to have ALOT of fun after :biglaugh:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
foreverpsycotic said:
if you got the 1j ecu and harness all set up in the car, just hook it up tothe 2j, wiring problem solved. hope you have a really fun time swapping that, cuz it looks like your going to have ALOT of fun after :biglaugh:
bingo,just what the doctor ordered.i bought a power fc for the 1jz over winter,so figure i'll use it.

89supturbo said:
I'm pretty sure that you posted pics in another thread of the ratshit motor, Iknow i saw that some where on here.
i did post pic's of the car and motor when i got it home.it was just gross,even the turbo piping and heat sheild had shit and urine stain's all over them:3d_frown:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
not much of an update,but powdered the lower part of the mani
p594920_1.jpg

ended up getting a ford union bolt and got rid of the oil cooler.i'm going to use an external air to oil cooler
p594920_2.jpg

on a 2j the oil dipstick bolt's to the intake plenum support.when you use 1jz motor mount's the support can't be bolted to the stock location on the block.i ended up cutting the bracket,re-welding it and bolting it off one of the motor mount bolt's with a spacer.this might not be alot of support for the plenum,but hold's the dipstick in nice and it's still better then no support.
p594920_3.jpg

Last edited:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
did a little brain surgery on the 2j today.replaced the valve seal's,i figured it's an old motor.here is a pic of the tool i used.it's a magnetic tool that suck's the keeper's out when you push down on it.
p599200_1.jpg

a pic of the valve seal after the spring was taken out.the plier's with the red handle is what i used to pull the seal's
p599200_2.jpg

here is a pic of the other part of the keeper remover/installer.once you load the keeper's back in the retainer's,you cnter it and push down on the spring.it took some getting used to the tool and with any luck you won't lose any keeper's down into the motor:nono:
p599200_3.jpg

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i got the cams back in and the front of the motor back together.i ended up using the titan cam gears off my 1jz,even though this motor has stock cams.i also installed an ati superdamper.i had one on my 455 pontiac and liked it,beside's the jz crank pulley horror stories.here's how it sat when i was done.
p599239_1.jpg

p599239_2.jpg

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
ZeCAteLa said:
the engine looks pretty sweet. can't wait to see it all done and ready to fire. keep up the good work.
thank's.i got a little inspired to work on it after the H.I.N show in boston:aigo:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
angrydrone said:
Man this makes me even more motivated to do my 1jz to 2jz swap!

Looks great man and keep up the good work!

Chris
thanks man.i was going to keep the 1jz,but i got a good deal on this motor and couldn't pass it up.you got a place in mind for a motor set?

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
csnow said:
Good stuff. What mani is that on your 2J?
chris that one came from e-bay,etd motor's.the thing fit's like shit,needing some work.the hole's in the flange needed to be oblong(sp?)to fit on the head.the t4 flange is straight,parrelel with the head.it make's it hard to fit the 4" intake pipe without it hitting the water outlet.flange's do seem flat and it was cheap

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
small update
we'll i wasn't happy with the ss autocrap mani's fittment.i ended up buying another off e-bay,one i was waiting to get before i bought the other.this one is supposed to be 321ss and have equal length runner's.i didn't measure the runner's to be sure or know how good the material is.the mani is braced and has a clocked flange that will give me more clearance for my intake pipe.if your doing a 2jz swap and plan on a single in the future,you might want one of these.i pulled it out of the box and it fit right over the stud without grinding.the turbo went right onto the stud's too.both the head and t4 flange appear to be nice and flat,should seal nice.the only thing i notice so far is the turbo drain will be tricky,but i'll come up with something.
here's a couple of pic's
p610828_1.jpg

p610828_2.jpg

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
tsuper92 said:
did a little brain surgery on the 2j today.replaced the valve seal's,i figured it's an old motor.here is a pic of the tool i used.it's a magnetic tool that suck's the keeper's out when you push down on it.

p611650_1.jpg

here is a pic of the other part of the keeper remover/installer.once you load the keeper's back in the retainer's,you cnter it and push down on the spring.it took some getting used to the tool and with any luck you won't lose any keeper's down into the motor:nono:

lol, I used the same exact tools, and I DID drop a keeper down an oil galley.

Luckily I was able to use a telescopic magnet to retrieve it. :biglaugh:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
mattjk said:
lol, I used the same exact tools, and I DID drop a keeper down an oil galley.

Luckily I was able to use a telescopic magnet to retrieve it. :biglaugh:
i did the same thing.i ended up using the towel's after,to help catch flying parts:biglaugh:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
a few pic's of my turbo drain.i decided to use a hard pipe for my drain because of clearance issue's with this manifold.what i did was mod a 7m ct26 drain pipe.i also had a section of stock twin drain pipe welded to it to complete it.i'm happy with the way it came out and it cost me $10 to have it welded.not bad for making use of part's laying around that aren't worth anything.
p620786_1.jpg

p620786_2.jpg

i also tapped my valve cover's for 1/2npt and installed some 90* elbow's to an-10.any opinion's or question's are welcome.

p620786_3.jpg

Last edited: