jzx90 Questions

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey,

I have a 1994 Toyota cresta with the 1jz in it. Just recently the heat stopped working in it and we suspect the heater core has gone. so my first question is:

1) Is the heater core the same on all 1jz cars/where can i buy a heater core for the jzx90? (not sure if i can just buy any heater core from a 1jz vehicle or if the heater core is model specific) looking for a place to buy one online. I thought rock auto used to sell them but cant seem to find them on there web site anymore. Any help or insite would be appreciated

2) the starter has also gone and i have pretty much the same question. Can I use any 1jz starter or are they model specific? also, where is a good site to buy a Quality starter?

Thanks

Travis

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can use any 1j or 2j starter.

The heater core is vehicle specific. Make sure the heater valve is working first. As if your full on coolant the heater core would be fine. Also could be one of the doors on the ac/heater box.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes. Unless it has a blockage inside it. You could feel both hoses going to it. If they are both hot then it is fine. I would check the heater valve first and make sure the arm moves when you turn the heat on.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
Frome one JZX90 owner to another:

You have a wire controlled valve for your heater core on the firewall, just aft of the engine intake.
This valve directs hot water from the cylinder head, straight in to the heater core.
The hot water re-enters the engine bay again behind the aft turbo.

A closed valve will stop hot water from entering the heater core - No heat.
It can be manually opened (by hand), and see if heating comes back.

Be absolutely sure to have enough coolant on your system.
The first sign of a coolant leak, is the heating not working! (as its at the highest point in the system, any air in system gathers here)

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
If opening the valve works, but wire does not move (and has not jumped of anything, or broken).... you most probably have a electrical issue.
From memory the wire attaches on to a flapper valve inside the AC system, which again is controlled by a electrical motor/Electronics.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
thanks for the info. i will be sure to top up the coolant. my coolant reservoir is full so shouldnt the cooling system pull coolant from there or should i dump it strait into the rad? I will see if i can somehow locate that valve but im not all that good with this type of stuff and my just take it to a mechanic. I let it run for a while yesterday and i got just the slightest bit of heat. i would say 90% cold air and just a little hot air mixed in there. Does this car have a notorious problem with this type of issue?

Thanks again,

Travis

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
so i fired the car up for the first time in a really long time. over a year for sure. so i let the car run till it heated up and tired flipping that valve back and forth with no luck. both heater hose lines get very hot and it seems to be holding coolant as there was no puddle under the car. the fluid was a little low so i topped it up. is it possible the coolant system has air lock? Is the ac/heater boxes doors something i can do manually as well? the vents in the car blow real hard but not getting any heat. only cold air.

Thanks

Travis

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
The doors can be done manually by removing the glove box and passenger foot panels.

Sounds like your heater core flow is ok if lines get hot while moving the valve.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
Electrical motors moves the doors form my memory. Controlled by the AC panel itself.

On other cars, the panels are usually moved by a vacuum system. On the x90 its electrical, as far as I remember.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
so can i just leave them open if that seems to fix the problem? or would that just cuz the heat to blow full blast all the time? can i still control the rate at which the air comes out?

Travis

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
Picture number 6.

You can see the wire to the Coolant valve, attatches to the "door hinge" if I remember correctly.
The door should be right in that area.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
is it possible it could be air lock? It looks like that whole mechanism is moving. the wire definitely moves that valve open and close. Is it the same motor that opens and closes the blend doors?

Can you tell me where i can get a replacement theromstat? or it its the same as a more popular model like the supra.