jza70 rhd swap in a ma70?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
NecroCyde;1826545 said:
Would it not make more sense to just buy a jdm car by way of Canada? I have heard of people doing this, its a car landed in Canada, already has a north american VIN and then u just import from Canada. You could get a whole running car for less then chainsawing up your car to get something close.
RHD cars imported to Canada usually come by way of Japan, therefore no NA vin to speak of. ;)

Edit: Of course, if when a car is brought into Canada, it is GIVEN an alternate VIN number by Canadian authorities... that's a different story. Having never lived in Canada I can't say.

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
MightyAl;1826598 said:
You might have got me there. My recollection of events might be too foggy. I didn't do all the fab and the swap took less then a week about 6 years ago so I apologize. I know that the firewall was removed below the pinch weld so I guess I shouldn't speak with so much confidence on the subject. From all the work it seems it would take to complete I am almost positive we didn't do it this way though.

No worries. I was just merely stating that it was a pain. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. A bit of innovation and thinking outside the box possibly make a modification to the current design easier to reinstall. I have been thinking of ways around it for years, but I have more work to do to my car than dealing with the wipers at the moment.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
te72;1826719 said:
RHD cars imported to Canada usually come by way of Japan, therefore no NA vin to speak of. ;)

Edit: Of course, if when a car is brought into Canada, it is GIVEN an alternate VIN number by Canadian authorities... that's a different story. Having never lived in Canada I can't say.

it is assigned a VIN by the province its registered in, but check with you local insurance company about the legality of importing. i think the 25 year or older law still applies, as it doesnt have the NA saftey sticker applied by the manufacturer.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
might I also mention that it is tough to find a 1/2 cut with a MINTY dash,

as they usually CRAM the containers to the hilt....

both the Silvia and MA70 1/2 cut I have bought had deep scars complete with windsheild glass imbedded in the dash....

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
Yeah, my dash isn't perfect. That was the only downer to the purchase. Not real deep, but noticable. Also, didn't come with the center console.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
kanji1jz;1830123 said:
Yeah, my dash isn't perfect. That was the only downer to the purchase. Not real deep, but noticable. Also, didn't come with the center console.

I know where there is a minty RHD charcoal dash!!:naughty:

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
If you're not going to commit to doing the swap completely, don't do it at all. We already have too many junk yard worthy A70's driving around.

There is more involved here than people mention, you need the rear and door harnesses, switches, don't try to flip and hack LHD harnesses.
E-brake? No half cut comes with emergency brake sheet metal. I hammer/dolly'd an exact opposite of LHD panel from scratch, cut out the old and welded in the new.

RazoE;1830129 said:
Not worth it. Sit in the passenger seat of your car with a fake steering wheel while someone else drives. Get used to that feeling, cause it sucks..

Does sitting on the center console with a fake wheel feel like driving a McLaren F1? It's not the same experience.

p1830169_1.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Projectsupra, when did Tom's make seats? Any more pictures of said car?

On the subject of "the experience", I would suggest that driving a RHD car in a LHD world would have it's ups and downs like most anything. Left hand turns in intersections, for example. I've been in intersections where you can't see oncoming traffic because a big vehicle turning left from the oncoming lanes is blocking your sight. In a RHD? Forget that idea, you're going to need to wait a while...

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
Tom's has had many bucket seats produced under their logo long long ago, however those are just ZetaII replica's.
I don't want this to divert this thread but I daily drove with 4pt harnesses, bucket seats, slammed, and RHD since 2002.
Countless turnpike toll booth, fast food drive-thru, ATM, police traffic stops, blind intersections, and moronic Florida drivers. Sometimes an inconvenience, but never a problem.
It's obviously not for everyone though.

Since you asked for pictures.
p1830234_1.jpg

p1830234_2.jpg

Kingsoup

Apr 8, 2005
Calgary
I've been driving a RHD Celsior for 4years and my WRX for 1.5yrs, you get used to it really quickly, its just drive throughs (never use) ticket machines (swing one leg over tranny, you can slip into other seat, then back to driver really quick) but I can't imagine why you'd go RHD if you have a LHD already. Just go 1JZ and keep the LHD, its enough work on its own to do the swap right?
In british columbia they made you get a new VIN, but most other provinces you just use the Japanese one, my WRX is like GF8007124 Easy right? right!
Celsior is going to be converted into a JZA70 TTR soooooon )