JZ Coils on 7M-GTE with dual ignitors

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Here is what I built for Suruko to allow him to run dual 7M-GTE ignitors to run six JZ coils.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Well that is it..... Exciting huh?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That is certainly interesting. It looks like you are still firing waste spark. Which does not hurt anything. Which JZ coils? Must be 1JZ, because the ones I have seen are two coil waste spark.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Yeah I believe they are 1JZ coils. Suruko has been wanting to do this for awhile so I built the circuit for him to be able to do it.

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
Thanks again man :)

yeah hopefully this will allow me to run the 1jz coils as wasted spark using 2 7mgte igniters :naughty:

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

super.secret.supra.club;1592373 said:
do you have pics on the car?
i really wanna do this

more info please

here are some pics of my current setup

p1592377_1.jpg

p1592377_2.jpg

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Hope you dont mind a couple of electrical noob questions.

What is the thing with all the diodes? Why is it needed? Why does it need a 5V reference?
What do the 1k resistors accomplish?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ Well, in this case by having twice the coils and twice the igniters you double the chances of something failing. Plus you get a poorly designed driver circuit that can burn out your catalyst while hydrolocking the engine. It looks good though. What more could you want? ;)

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
jetjock;1593000 said:
^ Well, in this case by having twice the coils and twice the igniters you double the chances of something failing. Plus you get a poorly designed driver circuit that can burn out your catalyst while hydrolocking the engine. It looks good though. What more could you want? ;)

Yeah yeah, Maybe a get a bhg too or burned the whole thing. besides if i dont wanna fell or do something wrong i stay in my bed, not doing this for trying to be a showoff. I just like the setup and i know if made and install corectly it will work great. just not going with the pack make u less or more than anyone just a new kid here trying something new not the old same stuff i guess haters do hate ;) lol

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
can 1jz coils fire twice as often in waste spark and have enough charge time to do so on waste spark and high rpm.
at high boost and high rpm wouldn't these 1jz waste spark fired coils missfire?

I take it you not using a standalone and have to use multiplex.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
jetjock;1593000 said:
that can burn out your catalyst while hydrolocking the engine.

Hydrolock the engine? I agree with the other statements, but hydrolock with fuel, due to coil failure? Not possible.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The obvious concern here is whether the 50V abs max rating for the 2981 outputs are sufficient given the high flyback voltages generated on that igniter. I personally would want something beefier on the output if it was my car. But what do I know, I must just be a hater too.