Just waitin for a good one...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hey guys, Im a new member, but i've been readin posts here for quite a while. Figured i may as well join in. Im lookin for my first mkIII and I'm taking my sweet time. If anything, you guys have made it clear that a shitty supra's about as bad as no supra......So i'll wait...

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome, but Im on a tight budget, about 3500.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
WELCOME!!
3500 is more than enuff, just look for one with a good shell, no rust, no dents, if it has a BHG 1500 is good depending if it has mods on it etc etc..
good luck on find one
or just find a shell it'll prolly be cheaper

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Hello! Nice to have you here.

My advice would be to assume that any Supra that is for sale has had the first signs of bhg, even the people who say the engine was just rebuilt. Drive the car for at least 30-45 minutes and find some hills to climb or drive it hard for a while and watch the temp gauge. Look under the oil cap for funky choclate milk looking stuff. Countless people have paid good money for a clean mk3 and then had a big bhg repair job ($$$) on their hands within days or weeks.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Wow, fast response. As for buying a shell... well, this will be my only car once i sell my current car, so It HAS to run reliably when i buy it. Thanks for the advice with the temp gauge. I kinda knew that but never figured to do it on a test drive(not sure why). Im lookin at one now, but it has an aftermarket sunroof and the guy was convinced the common problem with the supras was the valve cover, not the HG, WTF?!
Oh well, i'll drive it a bit and see if its worth the risk. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
You can find a nice one when you take your time like you planned on doing.
It's a fun car, you will love it! The 89+ targa 5 speed with grey interior seems to be the most sought after, and the late models with the shadow grey interior are my personal favorite. I do like the early front bumper though.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
suprarx7nut said:
the guy was convinced the common problem with the supras was the valve cover, not the HG, WTF?!

The Cam covers leaking oil is pretty common, the screws work loos over time and half the time the seals just need replaced... so, while it is very common, it's nothing to worry about.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CRE said:
The Cam covers leaking oil is pretty common, the screws work loos over time and half the time the seals just need replaced... so, while it is very common, it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks, thats actually really good to know. In the last couple days im finding ive been a little BHG paranoid after reading everyone's horror stories. I just cant afford to get stuck with that shit. anyone heard of their power steering not working immediately and needing to "warm Up"? I thought this was odd, possibly needs replacing?

Last edited:

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
I've never had power steering problems before, but that sounds like the pump is bad. Do you have access to a garage by any chance? You can usually find a BHG supra with a decent shell for 1500-2000, then with the extra cash you can fix it up nicely with some minor upgrades. Just don't get one with rod knock...that'll cost quite a bit more to fix. Maybe check out the forsale sections and see if there is anybody here getting rid of one.

oh and, welcome!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
TobyCat said:
I've never had power steering problems before, but that sounds like the pump is bad. Do you have access to a garage by any chance? You can usually find a BHG supra with a decent shell for 1500-2000, then with the extra cash you can fix it up nicely with some minor upgrades. Just don't get one with rod knock...that'll cost quite a bit more to fix. Maybe check out the forsale sections and see if there is anybody here getting rid of one.

oh and, welcome!

Well my problem is whatever supra i get will be only car, so its gotta run from the start. I'd love to have the extra cash or time to have a shell to fix up, but it just isnt in the cards right now. maybe in summer, but not now

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I had really good luck when I bought my supra . I got my 92 N/A 5spd for 5500 with 175.000 on it. I took a hit on the price because I had credit problems at the time and I got it with inhouse financing, but I didnt care I HAD to have it .I drove the shit out of it . I delivered pizza's with it ,raced it ,drove it 60 miles a day to my girls house .Finally got rod knock around 235.000 because I decided to cut cookies with low oil . You will find that N/A's are cheaper then Turbo's generally . It really isnt that hard to do the swap down the road . that might be an option just to get you started. Also generally N/A's are not as beat up as turbo's

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I10O0I1 said:
i have a 90 turbo hardtop 5speed with a rod knock.. body in great shape and no rust that i can see.. if your interested send me a pm... for more info and pics on it check out my myspace/// www.myspace.com/i10o0i1

Thats one hell of a clean and beatiful mkIII. If you lived this side of the mississippi i'd have to give it a closer look. Good luck though man and keep that thing lookin great. Oh and enjoy that GT 350Z!!