Just purchased 1987 Turbo

djbrown01

May 6, 2014
syracuse
Well after a few short with discussions with a friend of mine we came to a deal on his 1987 Supra Turbo, details below

1987 Turbo 72K Miles
5 Speed
Burgundy? with grey cloth
I will be the 3rd owner
He purchased it in 2001 with 62k miles
Rust Free

About every imaginable part has been replaced or upgraded, JDM 7MGTE, 6 Puck Clutch, Lightened flywheel, Intercooler, hard pipes, Stainless exhaust, I'm not sure of all the names but if it could have been upgraded this friend of mine probably did it

One minor problem, actually two

First the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor with no pressure on it, I was planning on ordering a new clutch master and clutch slave and swapping them out, getting the parts from driftmotion run about 100 dollars, unless you guys can point me in a better direction to get them, or possibly another solution?

Second is there is a lot of smoke coming from under the turbo, friend says he thinks the turbo oil feed line is leaking, but I haven't had a chance to get in there and look around, and maybe just looking for some more insight from people who have experienced these issues before.

I plan on being on this forum a lot, reading, participating, and learning about this car, I'm a converted Toyota man through and through, I love these cars, Toyota makes the best stuff on the planet, but thats my experience, as I currently own a 1995 Lexus LS400 with 205K miles and a 1996 Lexus LX450 (Landcruiser) With 246K miles and I wouldn't hesitate to take either of them anywhere, and hopefully this can be my nice weather play car. It's going to be a fun ride:icon_bigg

Was going to post pictures but do not know how :(

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
try bleeding the clutch before you replace it, could be out of fluid. 2 take the turbo off and clean it up, you're likely find the leak and put new gaskets the parts you find leaks.
welcome to maintenance hell. you'll be wrenching a while but if it doesn't have a BHG you'll have a lot of fun when it's fixed.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Welcome!

If it is out of fluid it probably needs to be replaced because that means it is leaking somewhere. That's how mine was when I got the car. Mine was leaking on the inside of the firewall. I got my master and slave for really cheap from autozone and oriellys, but if I were to do it again I would get the factory Toyota parts like Driftmotion sells. I havent had a problem with mine in the 4 years I've had the car, but I'm a sucker for OEM parts.

Use photobucket to post pictures. Upload them to photobucket and then copy the img url code and paste it here. Then your pictures will show up nice and big. I'd like to see pics of the Supra and the LX450

djbrown01

May 6, 2014
syracuse
Pics of both, you can see the supra smoking lol, hadn't been running in about two years, threw a fresh battery in it and it was running on the second revolution, and the best thing about the truck is it has factory locking differentials, and newly recovered front seats :)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nice. The supra's body looks really straight, and the paint looks good too. The bumpers might be a little faded, but that's common, mine are too. I like the lexus too. It looks clean as well, especially for 246k miles. It just proves that Toyotas/Lexus will run for forever if maintained.

djbrown01

May 6, 2014
syracuse
Body is really straight, few little dents and things here and there but that's about it, the passenger tail light is cracked, and the center section between the two tail lights is pushed in on the right side, and the bumpers are faded, but all easily fixable, I'm excited for the little projects that will be coming

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
Silver MK3;2005137 said:
Welcome!

If it is out of fluid it probably needs to be replaced because that means it is leaking somewhere. That's how mine was when I got the car. Mine was leaking on the inside of the firewall. I got my master and slave for really cheap from autozone and oriellys, but if I were to do it again I would get the factory Toyota parts like Driftmotion sells. I havent had a problem with mine in the 4 years I've had the car, but I'm a sucker for OEM parts.

Use photobucket to post pictures. Upload them to photobucket and then copy the img url code and paste it here. Then your pictures will show up nice and big. I'd like to see pics of the Supra and the LX450

This x 1000. Don't waste time and effort bleeding old parts, only to have them leaking again. Replace, bleed, and clean the spilled fluid. Sweet looking Supra. Have fun with it.

RS713

Jul 18, 2012
Guam
For the clutch pedal to the floor, try pulling off the inspection cover on the side of the trans and see if your slave cylinder is sitting correctly. I just did mine over the weekend and my first time threw, it was not sitting correctly so it would not give any pressure back to the pedal. Just a thought...

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Turbo Feed Lines Are On Top Right? take some of your lower ic pipes off and check for oil. Also pull off your downpipe and check that for oil . I suspect bad turbo seals.

djbrown01

May 6, 2014
syracuse
Thanks for all the responses, I figure I'll just replace the clutch parts, no big deal, and the turbo situation appears to be smoke coming from under the turbo, could that still be oil dripping into the downpipe and burning off in there and appearing that way? It has no leaks, its bone dry under the car so I'm not really sure, haven't even had a chance to get at it yet so we will see

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
My vote for smoke near the turbo is leaking valve cover gaskets putting oil on the manifold. Just a guess.

Inspecting that area is tough with the turbo and heat shields installed. Use a mirror on the under side and see if you can see any oil residue. The valve gaskets can be a pain to get to seal and it'll smoke if you leak some on the exhaust side.

djbrown01

May 6, 2014
syracuse
Everything looks dry at the valve cover, probably will be pulling the turbo off and changing out the lines and turbo gaskets shortly after I put the clutch master and slave parts on and get it moving around

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
while you're at it also check your CPS for seals. I spent my weekend removing my manifold to fix a water leak on the hard line hiding behind it. I was able to clearly see where i had previous leaks and the work can be done in a day if you don't have studs strip out of the head.