Just picked up an '88 MKIII

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
Hi all,

Just picked up an '88 MKIII for $400. It doesn't run (No spark), I am thinking the problem could be timing belt, distributor, or igniters. Anything else I should check?

Also, It has been sitting for a number of years before it last ran. Is there anything I should do before starting it besides changing the oil and draining the fuel?

Attachments

• DSCN0184.JPG
    DSCN0184.JPG
    579 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0185.JPG
    DSCN0185.JPG
    752.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0187.JPG
    DSCN0187.JPG
    649.5 KB · Views: 34

turbo4toy

Apr 2, 2005
Los Angeles
I also had a car that was about the same situation and it had an aftermarket starter kill that I found the switch to when I was parting it out. The car was involved in an pretty big accident but the motor was still good. By the way I'm up north from you in Erie if you happen to need some parts I might have some.

mkIIIdrifter

Aug 31, 2007
texas
if its been sitting for a while, then u should also check all the oils(trans., engine, etc.) check to see if the fuel pump and fuel filter are in good condition. if ur not gettin any spark check the coils, spark plugs and spark plug wires.

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
Thanks, for all the help guys. I plan to jack it up/change all fluids and then mess with the motor and try to get it running.

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
turbo4toy said:
I also had a car that was about the same situation and it had an aftermarket starter kill that I found the switch to when I was parting it out. The car was involved in an pretty big accident but the motor was still good. By the way I'm up north from you in Erie if you happen to need some parts I might have some.

Have any seats?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
ronnie4 said:
Hi all,

Just picked up an '88 MKIII for $400. It doesn't run (No spark), I am thinking the problem could be timing belt, distributor, or igniters. Anything else I should check?

Also, It has been sitting for a number of years before it last ran. Is there anything I should do before starting it besides changing the oil and draining the fuel?

For God's sake get some different wheels. Sawblades would even be better.

Nice looking straight car though. You did good for $400 bucks.

turbo4toy

Apr 2, 2005
Los Angeles
I don't anymore, I actually sold the ones that I had to another Supra owner in the springs. I really just have a lot of random stuff left over.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
ronnie4 said:
gtsfirefighter said:
For God's sake get some different wheels. QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you anymore. That will be the first thing to get changed when I get it running.

They're plenty of people on this forum who will give you a set of sawblades, all you gotta do is pay to ship them. Or, if you have the money go ahead and get a nice set of 5-spokes.

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
turbo4toy said:
I don't anymore, I actually sold the ones that I had to another Supra owner in the springs. I really just have a lot of random stuff left over.

Oh well,

It looks like I may need some other parts, as I start digging into the car, I am finding a few misc things here and there missing.