Just needed some input

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Not worth what he's asking IMHO....
Needs both window motors, diff, and a paint job to start...

what's this Carbon Flywheel? lol

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
supra90turbo;1393717 said:
Not worth what he's asking IMHO....
Needs both window motors, diff, and a paint job to start...

what's this Carbon Flywheel? lol

ya i have been looking for awhile cant seem to find much of anything as far as a 5speed turbo goes. that is under 3k kinda bent on cash and since mine is wrecked now im worse off lol

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Tell me...What is "technical" about your question?

Pay attention to where you post...thread moved.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
jdub;1393723 said:
Tell me...What is "technical" about your question?

Pay attention to where you post...thread moved.

Sorry put it there cause it was a mechanical problem with the car I am looking at buying. And i was wondering how much and how difficult it was to do.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
brand new engine/turbo and it uses some oil?

who blows not one, but both power window motors?

rear end spider gears are "sticking?" WTF

Carbon flywheel? lawl

AC isn't working, paint is badly faded and missing some trim, no radio, no shift knob (lawl), janky-ass wiring running around the radiator

And he wants $2700 for it? Pass -- not even worth negotiating (despite being a hardtop). In a few weeks you'll probably see it listed for $2000 or less

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
supraman666;1393855 said:
is it just me or is one interior pic tan and the other gray. looks shitty to me. no more than 1000

the interior looks the same i think its the lighting but i would pass not even 1000 that car has been beat to hell just look at it you dont want that car. you can find shells that will be a much better deal. the paint is fd the car needs rewired you would need alot. looks like some honda boy got a hold of a good supra and that is your end result

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
No A/C, and the windows won't roll down!

Windows could be switch problems.
If that motor is rebuilt (new), it could be worth it, but it burns oil.
Are the spider gears sticking, or does Harley boy not understand LSD? He beats on it, and sees two tracks, and thinks it's sticking?

There are better cars definitely.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
The 2nd one is better, but still I'd pass. "some assembly required" = not for you (no offense, but if you're asking you're better off waiting for a driver). Plus its had a new front clip put on and has a salvage title. I don't care if he says its never been in an accident -- I don't believe him.

As for the W58 -- the original car may have been automatic, or it may have been a NA that he's attempted to convert to turbo (hence why it doesn't run and needs "some assembly"). Or maybe he blew the R154 and just threw in a W58 from a parts car.

Last edited:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
ma71supraturbo;1395311 said:
The 2nd one is better, but still I'd pass. "some assembly required" = not for you (no offense, but if you're asking you're better off waiting for a driver). Plus its had a new front clip put on and has a salvage title. I don't care if he says its never been in an accident -- I don't believe him.

As for the W158 -- the original car may have been automatic, or it may have been a NA that he's attempted to convert to turbo (hence why it doesn't run and needs "some assembly"). Or maybe he blew the R154 and just threw in a W158 from a parts car.

What is a W-158 ? I know the W-58 N/A transmission.

Also he said it was in a front end collision.

I don't know tho just been looking around. My main problem was that the car did not have a R-154.

But yea thanks your input ill keep looking

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
How much cash do would you estimate to convert a turbo model from auto to a R-154 ?

If i did it my self or paid a shop to do it.

I know it changes depending on shop but what do you think i should expect?

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Turbo Habanero;1395372 said:
How much cash do would you estimate to convert a turbo model from auto to a R-154 ?

If i did it my self or paid a shop to do it.

I know it changes depending on shop but what do you think i should expect?

$500-$5000 depending on how thorough your swap and how new the parts. When I swapped my silver car from auto to r154, it cost me ~$1300 doing it myself and using a new spec stage 3 clutch + al flywheel. I'd been wanting to do the swap for years and happened upon a barely running 88T 5spd for $500 so I just swapped all the 5spd parts over.

Someone once did a pretty thorough write-up of all that is involved, but from memory you'll need:

R154+shift fork assembly
transmission crossmember
lower transmission-engine braces (might only need 1 side)
lower sheetmetal dust sheild
driveshaft (might just need the front 1/2)
shifter
clutch and brake pedal assemblies
clutch master & slave cylinders and clutch line
clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, and flywheel

You can then short two wires to tell the ECUs that you're always in neutral, or you could swap in the 5spd ecu and wiring harness. (I just shorted the wires). There was something else that had to be wired to make the reverse lights work using the Auto ECU/harness but I can't recall offhand

Optional:
5spd instrument panel (no PWR/NML and OD lights)
5spd center console & shift boot

It was a pain in the ass, and unless the auto car was really something special & a great deal, I'd never do it again (just keep on looking for a 5spd). If you can't find a good turbo locally, keep saving up and expand your search nationally. I once flew across the country to buy a car and drive it back. You can also have a car shipped cross country for ~$750...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
ma71supraturbo;1395378 said:
$500-$5000 depending on how thorough your swap and how new the parts. When I swapped my silver car from auto to r154, it cost me ~$1300 doing it myself and using a new spec stage 3 clutch + al flywheel. I'd been wanting to do the swap for years and happened upon a barely running 88T 5spd for $500 so I just swapped all the 5spd parts over.

Someone once did a pretty thorough write-up of all that is involved, but from memory you'll need:

R154+shift fork assembly
transmission crossmember
lower transmission mounts (might only need 1 side)
lower sheetmetal dust sheild
driveshaft (might just need the front 1/2)
shifter
clutch and brake pedal assemblies
clutch master & slave cylinders and clutch line

You can then short two wires to tell the ECUs that you're always in neutral, or you could swap in the 5spd ecu and wiring harness. (I just shorted the wires). There was something else that had to be wired to make the reverse lights work using the Auto ECU/harness but I can't recall offhand

Optional:
5spd instrument panel (no PWR/NML and OD lights)
5spd center console & shift boot

So in other words it is easier to just find a running R-154 Supra for sell lol