Just Introducing Myself. Whats Up

smokemkevo

May 28, 2009
Whats Up, Supra Mania!

Just Bought A 1990 MK3 Supra 7M-GTE For $400 Needs Some Work But Has Potential. Im From Kentucky And Im 20 Years Old. This Would Be My Second Project Car, First Was a 93 Mazda MX6 KLZE. Needed More Speed. lol

Some Pics Of course:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Thanks For Your Time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Edited your post to move pictures in the OP.

I'd say you just walked away with the Deal of the Year award. :aigo:

I would've paid $400 for a clean rolling '90 shell, just because I'm all about that extra little rarity value.....let alone a complete car.
Congratulations on your purchase.

They're amazing cars. However, if you get frustrated -
I'd be more than happy to drive down and take it off your hands...... :biglaugh:

Jeff

Hi. Best of luck with the restoration. Looks like the body may be a bit rough, but nothing a little elbow grease can't restore.

The underhood picture looks essentially stock, the best way to buy a Supra, especially a turbo. You don't want one that has been modified and beat unless you really know the former owner. One thing seems odd. The black charcoal canister (for fuel tank vapor absorption, to the passenger side) is horizontal. All I've ever seen are vertical, standing up on the bracket.

I'm sure by this point you know about the head gasket problem. If OK now, retorque the bolts to 72 #-ft. But in the final analysis, a metal gasket and proper block and head finishing is the only way to go. The only other problem is the location of the oil pickup: It is too far forward and starves the pump on acceleration if you have modifications. I moved mine back when I did I built a JDM engine and did a swap, but you can otherwise run the oil one quart high, and watch it like gospel.

I had a '90 before the '91 and it served me well for well over 10 years, eventually turning to rust here in NJ. The stock (retorqued) HG blew at 160K miles, so I sold it and got my '91 shipped up from Houston. No rust!

Good luck. Collectively we need to keep the MkIII alive.

BernieK
'91T, non-targa, refreshed JDM, Walbro, Lex, 550cc ND injectors, 57 trim turbo at 17 PSI (at 3000 pipe), '98 wheels and engine mounts (strong!), Lipp, modified stock FPR, Treadstone IC, hardpipes, Cometic, ARP, Random Tech 3" single cat downpipe, HKS LET-T16 exhaust, Cometic, ARP, Exedy organic clutch (street use), Cr-Mo light flywheel, Raptor BOV (recirculated), deflashed valve bowls, exhaust helicoils, tower strut.

smokemyocum;1331764 said:
Whats Up, Supra Mania!

Just Bought A 1990 MK3 Supra 7M-GTE For $400 Needs Some Work But Has Potential. Im From Kentucky And Im 20 Years Old. This Would Be My Second Project Car, First Was a 93 Mazda MX6 KLZE. Needed More Speed. lol

Some Pics Of course:

Thanks For Your Time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
7M-KDL;1331958 said:
sweet hose clamp on top of your coil pack cover, hope you put that there(or know where it goes) lol

and honestabe: what does "curse of the red x" mean?

I'm sure the miscellaneous hose clamps were from "beginning" stages of tear-down/inspection. ;)

"Curse of the Red X" is a common picture error that's displayed when it's not posted properly. It was fixed earlier, so no need to worry about that. :)

Jeff

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Boost Lee;1331971 said:
I'm sure the miscellaneous hose clamps were from "beginning" stages of tear-down/inspection. ;)

"Curse of the Red X" is a common picture error that's displayed when it's not posted properly. It was fixed earlier, so no need to worry about that. :)

Jeff

yeh i figured it was probably from teardown/inspection, not much chance of it stayin put after a drive lol and thanx for the "red x" info. also, forgot to say welcome OP.

smokemkevo

May 28, 2009
thanks Everyone.

Yea The Old owner doesnt know anything about cars bc of what he did. he tryed to get the turbo off by sawing the downpipe. so i will have to replace that for sure and thats why the black canister is like that. that something A redneck mechanic from kentucky would do. lol.

He told me, when i was looking at the car that it has 325 hp stock and if the turbo goes bad, then he said the turbo cost more then the motor. I corrected him though '' must of thought he had a 2jz or something''. lol

Yea I hope that it's a BHG. but not sure yet bc just now got it, had to work today. But tommorow i should have the time to get started. It has no oil. said he drianed it idk why. lol

P.S: The Hose Clamp = Gives It Character. lol

Actually it fell off when i was hauling it.