Just got my MKIII Turbo supra!

MKIIIiLLMATIC

May 6, 2007
Oregon
My first supra and first turbo car. I was wondering what are the weak points of the car. I want to know what modifications i should install first. I don't want crazy power just enough so that it is fun to drive daily and i will take it to the drag stip and the road course.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Bad head gasket is one weak point.

First mod would be maintain the car and make sure it is in tip-top shape before you go doing mods.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Bad Head Gaskets ::bhg::. Do some searching on that subject and how to fix it. There is plenty on here about it. Do intake and exhaust. Let it breath!!!

conundrum07

Just say no to Supras
Feb 26, 2007
Kansas City
oscolivar1 said:
Hope this isnt a daily driver, if it is I'd be looking for a Beater car.

Agreed.

And never ever run the engine low on oil. You will spin a bearing if you even think about running it low on oil :icon_conf

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
Torque down the head to 75 ft pounds, and if you want ARP studs (witch is a great idea) then get ready to take the tap and die out because you're going to have to make sure there is no dabre before you install the new studs. And a stock HG is good for 400hp+ as long as you at least torque down the head and put in ARP studs but at that point you might as well just get a metal head gasket and have you're head and block decked.

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
This is true - the FelPro gasket, properly prepped using studs, is not bad by any means.

@ 16psi (57 trim) on a 220k+ mile engine (with about 10k on the FelPro) the rings gave out before the head gasket ever thought of giving.

You have to ensure the head and deck are flat, period.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Properly done HG, check the rod and main bearings, replace if they are out of spec, replace all worn, rotted vacuum hoses and water hoses, repair any wiring if needed, try the knock sensor wiring mod out if you like, things like this. Basic repairs are a must with this car, once you've got that outa the way, then you can look into modding the car. Like someone mentioned earlier, once you have that done, a full turbo back exahust, intake, and IC hardpipes and new IC will really wake up the car.

Here's a good site to start with, I hope it still stays up... http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/techtips.aspx

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Lapping is something I don't recommend if you are going to use a MHG, better just pull the block to be on the safe side. Lapping is smoothing down the surface of the block to accept a MHG, but you MUST make sure it's the proper Roughness Average for the specific brand of gasket you go with, not the mention making damn sure the block is flat.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Nope, that varies greatly from one machinist to another. Make friends with them, they may cut you a deal. Some are pricks and will charge you up the ass just because they don't want to touch an import head :3d_frown:.

Shlongor

6483 DECM Helos
Aug 10, 2005
Illinois/Hawaii
www.marines.com
Keeping the oil level at "full" is sufficient unless you do some wicked driving. That's where I kept my last Supra (the white car) and 2.5 years later when it developed a BHG, the bearings/crank journals looked perfect.