Just Curious

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
why does it mean to weld your rear end? i heard that many people are doing this now as a cheap way to get power transfered to both wheels instead of buying an LSD? er i know it's been done a long time ago but being done more so today. i'm just curious as to how is this done? what is being welding together exactly? does it really make power transfered to both wheels?

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
welding the spider gears together to get a solid diff. Which means both of your tires spin at the same speed all the time. Which means that when you turn one of your tires will rub because the inner tire spins slower than the outer one on a regular diff. and now they'll both spin at the same speed. More or less good for going in strait lines only. More power...not sure.

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
so welding the spider gears together make both wheels spin during acceleration and deacceleration, isn't that the samething as a 2way lsd? is there a drawback to doing this welding? please dont get mad at me ppl, i'm just looking to learn more information.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Just DON'T do it...unless you are only drag racing (tow in on trailer).
You won't be able to go around a corner without damaging your tires, and eventually break something inside, like the axle.

Been there, done that. I used to weld them up for off-roaders.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
mrnickleye said:
Just DON'T do it...unless you are only drag racing (tow in on trailer).
You won't be able to go around a corner without damaging your tires, and eventually break something inside, like the axle.

Been there, done that. I used to weld them up for off-roaders.

pretty much your answer right there.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
First, you'd have to have a NA open diff to be able to weld it. Second, it gets very annoying at parkinglot speeds -- bucking and lurching every time you pull into a parking lot -- drawing stares. Then 1 month later you'll be out having some good clean fun and the f^*#$r will break leaving you stranded.

But then again -- if you have one handy, why not? Just don't plan on it being a long term thing and don't expect your tires to like it. It still was a ton of fun as long as the tires were spinning

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Like everybody said don't do it.

When you weld the spider gears, you are basically making one solid bar from wheel to wheel. Both wheels turn at the same rate at all times. Your differential is gone, as is your ability to go around corners smoothly.

With a normal differential, when you go around corners, one tire has to turn faster than the other, in order to keep things moving smoothly. When you weld the rear, the tires can't turn at different rates. This puts a lot of stress on drive train components, and at some point in the turn, something has to give. Usually it’s the tire to pavement contact, as you know this will wear down your tires fast, some times it's driveshafts or drivelines or some various part.

So simply put welding the rear end is a bad idea unless you only travel in a straight line or like to go mud bogging. It will cause extremely premature death of driveline components as well as making driving a pain in the ass on even the smallest of corners.

Last edited: