Just bought it, just blew the HG

JDav

Sep 1, 2012
Medford, Oregon
I just bought a cherry 89 turbo. It had gotten a head rebuild- valve grind, resurface head, new head gasket set 3000 miles ago. Obviously wasn't done properly- but I'm stuck with the situation, so what I want to do is fix it. I just want a stock performing engine- but I want to make it BOMBPROOF. From reading these technical posts regarding the level of expertise required to really assemble & build these engines to make them perform dependably, I'm thinking alot of the shops in my geographic area might not be qualified. I live in Medford, Oregon, and my question is- do any of you have a recommendation on a shop/ mechanic that I could trust to repair this engine CORRECTLY here in the Northwest? I believe I could yank the engine and transport it to wherever, so that labor would be eliminated. It's not a daily driver so no time constraints on a rebuild either. My other question is- I would be willing to commit $3500.00 to make this engine like I said, BOMBPROOF, because I think the car is worth it- do you think I could get a quality rebuild for that? Thanks for any advice you may be able to give me-
insert.jpg
She's a sweet little car- I need to bring her back to life!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would pull the head and see whats up first. You may notice issues with the head that caused the gasket failure. That way you may be able to get a replacement head prior to doing all the fuss and muss with replacing a headgasket. At the same time you will be able to check out the pistons and cylinders as well as the top portion of the block. I went in for a leaking valve stem issue and ended up needing a headgasket (well.. not needing, but I wanted a Cometic HG and only has an OEM version...) so at the same time am repairing issues with the rings/cylinders simply because its very opportune and will make my engine "bulletproof" for the most part. Its lapping the head correctly and prepping the head that is the key. Most machine shops can follow instructions correctly.
If you like, I can post up the info for proper specs prior to putting the head back on (for surface prep). Its not that big of a deal providing you have no other issues (like cracks, etc..)

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Welcome,
You are right about 7M engines needed a perfect rebuild. You can't cut any corners. I don't know anywhere in the area that specializes in Supras, but I think your best bet would be some of the performance import machine shops in Portland. Call and ask them if they have built 7M's before. I had the same goals as you when I built my engine, I used ARP head studs, ARP rod bolts, Titan metal headgasket, new Toyota oil pump shimmed 5mm. The engine is very solid, I'm not easy on it and it's holding up perfectly.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Why not save a bunch of money and do it yourself. Its not hard to do. Take your time do it right and spend the money you save doing it yourself on quality parts. There are Step by step instructions on changing the headgasket on this forum.

JDav

Sep 1, 2012
Medford, Oregon
Thanks- thats where I will begin- I don't have access to tools & equip that I would need- but I do do have a buddy that does, & he may be willing to give me some help...
I'm gonna fix this engine if it takes my wife's last dime.
(don't tell her I said that...)