Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
Hi guys.. and gals - if any.

I just got my car last weekend and have a couple of quick questions (yes I did search)

1. What is the light on the very left that came on my dash for ten seconds that looks like a bird cage and then went off.. I mean a bird cage.. wierd.

2. I am running a canadian car so my oil pressure guage is in cm2 and it sits at approx 2.2 when driving on the hwy (not accelerating - keeping steady. Is this ok? or is it low.. (by the way I went to Toyota tonight in Richmond and they were closed so I will have to get a manual - did not come with the car)

3. I do have the knock on the pass side, near the back of the engine below where you can see - almost like a header was loose or broken - (may not be the engine) cannot hear it after 3000 rpm - loud at idle (I have searched but the answers vary widely- I did intend to spend money on this car.. got it for cheap..)

4. Passenger doors are all closed and the red door light on the dash flickers a lot all the time.. nuts - need a fix.

5. My glow ring key thing keeps coming on and off (only at night when lights are on)- be best to disconnect it. - not sure how.

6. The orange check engine light is on as soon as I go above 2g for the very first time and stays on for the rest of the trip.. I do have to hit Toyota to find out what it is..

7. What is the lock out overdrive switch for -(upper right forward on the floor console) I can turn on or off my overdrive on the auto stickshift

Thanks in advance for any advice.. I have over 300 posts on the jeep forum so I will be around here for quite a bit.. :)

Last edited:

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
Coolant is up in the coolant tank - I checked that before I left the dealer.. on saturday (however I will check it again) (I do know that I have air in my cooling system as niagara falls is happening behind my dash in the morning)

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
Um not to be a bearer of bad news but alot of those are signs of BHG forming am i not correct
guys
someone with more tec info then me help

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I think it has formed.....................:3d_frown:

Good luck Jim. Hope it works out for you. You did get it at a good price so hopefully you can fix these problems and get it running good.............lol

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
#2 2.2 kg/cm^2 should be about 31 psi, I believe. I am currently running about 40 psi using 10W-40 synthetic oil at a constant highway speed, but I was closer to 30 when I was using 10W-30 syn. I might get corrected here, but I believe those pressures are typical.

#6 I agree with Suprahero on code 52, which would be a knock sensor code, and you could probably take care of it by doing a rewire. Shaeff sells a great rewire kit. There's a ton of information on SM if you do a search. Also, search for the how-to on running codes - there's no need to go to a Toyota dealership, only the need for a paperclip.

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
thanks so far.. BHG? What does that stand for?

and yes I thought I got a great price on the car at 3300..cdn- interior and dash is nice - no rust.. no signs of head gasket prob - oil and oil cap clean - nothing out of the tailpipe - pulls strong.. needs a few things however i did intend to spend a few g on it to bring it back to at least stock.. - just not sure which steps.. - by the way put 91 octane in it.. i figure with the turbo I should put better gas in it (Chevron)

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
Not at that price.. - I don't have a problem with spending money to fix it.. honest.. I bought it partially as a project car and knew I would have to spend bucks to get it back to par - it is not knowing what is wrong that drive's me a bit crazy - not the fact that I have to spend.. to fix...

You guys are great and as I get to be on this forum i will learn a lot.. like if it is a blown head gasket - yes i should get the metal gasket and the arp's but...but.. should I change anything else while the mechanic is in there at the same time.. (looking for reliability not 500hp)

I mean I have driven it a bit for a day or so - it is incredible, like a mustang engine in a bmw chassis - wow.. I really love it.

I am going to take the car over to Rudy at Tekam automotive here in vancouver now.. (he has worked on my past rx-7's.)

Last edited:

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Jul 23, 2006
Luck, Wisconsin
jimwww said:
BHG? What does that stand for?

Oh the days of innocence, I remember them fondly.

Seriously though, my car had the niagara sound behind the dash due to several small external coolant leaks, not BHG, so don't automatically assume BHG. If the headgasket isn't blown then you should re-torque the head immediately to higher than factory torque (75 ft. lbs. I think) and probably replace the valve cover gaskets . They tend to leak and fill up the area where the spark plugs are with oil. If you don't plan to turn up the boost then your car should be quite reliable with only routine maintenance, if the engine is sound now.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
and probably replace the valve cover gaskets . They tend to leak and fill up the area where the spark plugs are with oil.

fixing this right now:3d_frown:

confusatron

Aug 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
oscar35783 said:
Bird cage Light A.K.A BHG light

The bird cage light means low coolant in the overflow tank, or if you check it and it's full, the sensor is bad. Clean it or replace it if that doesn't make the light go away.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
silent_sniper said:
and probably replace the valve cover gaskets . They tend to leak and fill up the area where the spark plugs are with oil.

fixing this right now:3d_frown:
same man. i shoudl have taken a picture of how much oil was in 5-6 gap -_- freaking river...

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
i have the waterfall behind the dash, but it sounds more like its coming from the heatercore, i think i have some air trapped in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.