Just beginning my project, got a couple questions...

Well I have finally started my ge->gte conversion (+a few extras) and I have a few random questions. BTW, I rebuilt the 7m-ge with all new toyota bearings, seals, rings, machined head, honed cylinders, ect. about 5k miles ago. Now my questions:

1. I have 4 gauge wire already run to my hatch and I'm thinking about relocating my battery. Is 4 gauge big enough? BTW, its an Optima red top (so it's sealed), I know about the cutoff switch for NHRA (although not sure on that wiring/location), and yes, I did search.

2. I would like to remove my ISC, but I have heard that doing so will cause a rough idle. I have seen people remove them, is it only possible with a standalone?

3. I am going to be reusing the ge block but putting in gte pistons to lower the c/r. I was planning on getting new toyota rings and re-honing the cylinders, but is that necessary on a 5k mile rebuild? Also, can ge piston rings even be used on gte pistons?

Well, thats all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance,

-Nick

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Don't know about the rings, but you need to rehone the cylinders any time you put new rings in. The crosshatch pattern of the hone marks is what seats the rings in the cylinders. Why bother doing that to lower the compression? Instead, how about running a thicker head gasket? The make several thicknesses in metal head gaskets for the 7m. Up to two mm I believe. That would probably be a much better choice than changing the pistons.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
if you run 4 gauge, you really might have some issues. 0 gauge is what i've always heard as recommended for any main battery lines... i used to do car audio, that's what we ran for a battery relocation. it just might put a strain on your ignition system.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
1) you really need a minimum of 2ga. if you are putting it in the trunk/hatch area.

2) you can remove the ISC, I cant remember if the turbo TB has is, but the N/A TB's has an adjustable throttle stop screw that can used to adjust Idle speed, but if you drive the car in the winter in Maryland, you will most likey have cold starting problems unless you adapt some form of idle up system into it. I can give you a few ideas if you want to do that. PM me if you want to know.

3) If you are installing new rings, you should rehone the cylinders. you can use GE rings on GTE pistons obviously as long as the pistons are the same bore size. If you are running boost, thought you are better off running turbo rings. the only major differance is that the turbo rings use a steel top ring and a cast 2nd ring where the N/A rings are cast in both positions.