junkyard 7m

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
Im getting a good deal on a whole 7m motor from a 90+ turbo car at a junkyard. Im kind of reluctant to take it cuz it has been sitting in the junkyard. So i came to the forums to get sum advice. Should i get it?

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
how much do they want for it? If its not too expensive id say why not and it would be a good engine to do a complete rebuild on while you still have the other engine in the car or a DD

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
How much are you paying for it? Why are you buying it? BHG? Rod knock? It would, in my opinion, be better to keep the money you'll spend for it and rebuild your current engine. You will probably have to do the same work to the salvage motor as you would need to your own, unless they tested the motor before they pulled it. You never know what you're gonna get.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
yeah the big question is how much? if its like the junkyards here they are only like 99-199 for a FULL motor.... so if thats the case any 7m IMO for 200 or less is worth buying just for the parts if nothing else...

more then that and youll have to think about it and why you are buying to begin with.

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
I have a 88 na targa so im buying it to go turbo. The motor is still sitting in the car and they want between 200-300. The guy wasnt sure because the main boss wasnt there.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
miles? hopefully low. why is the car in a junkyard? wreck? or is the car in perfect condition and they " are not sure about the condition of the engine"

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Idealsupra said:
yeah the big question is how much? if its like the junkyards here they are only like 99-199 for a FULL motor.... so if thats the case any 7m IMO for 200 or less is worth buying just for the parts if nothing else...

more then that and youll have to think about it and why you are buying to begin with.

I just picked up a complete gte, IC piping and some other misc parts from a junkyard for 500 bucks. It was pulled from the car today. I don't know what's wrong with it and don't care because I'm going to rebuild it anyway. It's very hard to find a complete USDM 7mgte engine so I snatched it up while I had the chance and you need to do the same. Just assume that all junkyard 7m's have either a bhg or rod knock, wisdom passed on to me from a fellow SM member and also learned the hard way.

BTW, I have yet to see any complete 7M, GE or GTE, running or not, go for 200 or less on this forum, Supraforums or any junkyard and believe me I've looked nationwide.

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
I dont know why it was junked and i dont know whats wrong wit the motor. I have already taken some parts from the car. Im just going to go head and get the motor. Im going to rebuild it. Gtsfirefighter where are you located in north texas?

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
fwiw, i got an na block for 50 bucks from the junkyard a month ago, and i transplanted the crank, oil pump, rods, and used bearings (yep, the original toyota ones) into my car and i have been driving again for 3 weeks now! no rod knock!

hint: i got lucky. i would look for obvious signs of why the car is in the jy. if the entire rear of the car is smashed to shit, the motor is probably fine. if the body is in good condition, they the motor is prolly fuxx0red. on the car that i pulled my mine from, it had rusty water marks all over the engine bay (overheating) but it was in places that there were hoses, so i assumed that it didnt have bhg. upon complete inspection (micrometer, plastigage) all journals on the crank were within factory specs still.

whatever you do, good luck!