Jumped on the painting bandwagon

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
Ok I got most of my supplies (if not all of them) Im getting underway of painting my car the #1 reason im doing this is becuse I HATE RED cant stand the color so im doing a color change from red -=> black. So right now im testing out how i should go about this Spraying vs. Rolling. I just tested this out tonight on one of my spare fenders I swaped. it looks good but I think i may need a paint booth to spray. Im going to try and roll it on tomrrow and post the pics side by side but for now I have what I have done tonight. Let me know what you think ideas/feedback is welcome. :biglaugh:

p510098_1.jpg

p510098_2.jpg

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
blackgraz said:
Ok I got most of my supplies (if not all of them) Im getting underway of painting my car the #1 reason im doing this is becuse I HATE RED cant stand the color ]

I have to say I can understand why you would feel that way.....:biglaugh:

Seriously though besides the fact of making fun of the Reds every chance I get I have some advice that = nothing. Spray it dont role it!!! Your best finish comes from a spraygun.

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
da89soup said:
I have to say I can understand why you would feel that way.....:biglaugh:

Seriously though besides the fact of making fun of the Reds every chance I get I have some advice that = nothing. Spray it dont role it!!! Your best finish comes from a spraygun.

yeah I know I just spayed it and it turned out great just one lil prob im facing
is overspray and its kicking all the sawdust and dust in my garage and some of it is sticking to my paint and making little dots of some sort I don't know if this will messup my finish product. also I have a reg HPLV gun but its not a gravity gun. do you know if this will make a differnce :dunno: if anyone knows please fill me in btw this is the gun i was working with.....

p510276_1.jpg

also heres the shit thats ending up in my paintjob(sorry for the shitty pic its the ony way this could showup)
p510276_2.jpg

Last edited:

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
Update: just got my bumpers off and going to start wet sanding..anyone have any helpful input? also im wondering,
WHY DID I HAFT TO TAKE EVERYTHING OUT OF THE BACK JUST TO TAKE THE BACK BUMPER OFF?!?!?!?!

p511733_1.jpg

p511733_2.jpg

p511733_3.jpg

p511733_4.jpg

p511733_5.jpg

p511733_6.jpg

EDIT: the only problem i see that im facing is wetsanding and the red paint staining my driveway. Any ideas on getting around this?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Tarp? Rip up trash bags? Old bed sheets? Do it in a random field? Get some big paper... Idk how to describe it, it comes in rolls that are like 4 feet wide.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
that's called fisheyes and it's really tough to avoid. I turned a small garage into a paint booth before and painted a car... it was almost impossible to avoid. I even rigged up a filtered vent and fan. You have to go over every inch of the garage with a vacuum to get all the dust.

blackgraz said:
yeah I know I just spayed it and it turned out great just one lil prob im facing
is overspray and its kicking all the sawdust and dust in my garage and some of it is sticking to my paint and making little dots of some sort I don't know if this will messup my finish product. also I have a reg HPLV gun but its not a gravity gun. do you know if this will make a differnce :dunno: if anyone knows please fill me in btw this is the gun i was working with.....

p512270_1.jpg

also heres the shit thats ending up in my paintjob(sorry for the shitty pic its the ony way this could showup)
p512270_2.jpg

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
Quin said:
Tarp? Rip up trash bags? Old bed sheets? Do it in a random field? Get some big paper... Idk how to describe it, it comes in rolls that are like 4 feet wide.
I was thinking about getting cardboard and doing it on that I dunno tho thats about the best way i can think of so far...

mattjk said:
that's called fisheyes and it's really tough to avoid. I turned a small garage into a paint booth before and painted a car... it was almost impossible to avoid. I even rigged up a filtered vent and fan. You have to go over every inch of the garage with a vacuum to get all the dust.

Damn just want i didnt want to hear :cry: well i guess im gonna haft to blow off all the the work benches and shit and hang plastic all around.

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
UPDATE@!!! First off I wanna thank bryanintexas for the little motivation I needed instead of putting this off (its what im so good at) Anyways just painted my hood and headlight covers in flat black the headlight covers came out GREAT about the hood i HAD one drop of water come from the hose connection from the paint gun and land on my hood messed it up so I may need to repaint the hood again. Oh well shit happens. It looks like the hood hasent dried all the way by the gloss look to it still. Here some pics i just may post them again in sunlight maybe it will show better results.

Updated hood pic
p523509_1.jpg

p523509_2.jpg

Last edited:

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
looks good as far as the water on the hood you should be able to lightly sand the spot out with maybe some 600 grit. also always if possible wet the floor when painting. and as far as the fisheyes that means that there is some sort of oily substance on the surface sand and clean thoroughly then re-spray. your choice of paint guns is fine as long as you keep it cleaned out when you use it.. i have seen and done many paint jobs with a siphon gun like yours.. i prefer gravity guns but thats just me..
are you going to use single stage paint or base /clear? also there are alot of factors to think of when painting. temp/humidity/ weather in general.
p.s. im not just rambling on i have actually done all of the things i have said and it works i have even had instances where my paint fisheyed and i had to clean it with brake cleaner to get it to go on smooth. lmk if you have any more ?'s

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Before you paint the front you should shave the license plate mounting, and the supra emblem!

p523529_1.jpg

p523529_2.jpg
:biglaugh:

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
Godspeed said:
looks good as far as the water on the hood you should be able to lightly sand the spot out with maybe some 600 grit. also always if possible wet the floor when painting. and as far as the fisheyes that means that there is some sort of oily substance on the surface sand and clean thoroughly then re-spray. your choice of paint guns is fine as long as you keep it cleaned out when you use it.. i have seen and done many paint jobs with a siphon gun like yours.. i prefer gravity guns but thats just me..
are you going to use single stage paint or base /clear? also there are alot of factors to think of when painting. temp/humidity/ weather in general.
p.s. im not just rambling on i have actually done all of the things i have said and it works i have even had instances where my paint fisheyed and i had to clean it with brake cleaner to get it to go on smooth. lmk if you have any more ?'s

well I solved the fisheye issue i just take a rag of mineral spirits and wipe what im going to paint i did wet the floor down with a spray bottle its a lot better when i did the test spray on that fender as far as the gun i got the gun for free I so wish I could use a grav gun.as far as stages im using rust-oluem and i think im going to do 2 coats and im undecided on the clear I dunno if i put a clear coat on if that will not allow me to put any other coats down the road. If anyone have any experince on this please give me some feedback.

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
Im thinking about leaving the hood and headlight covers flat black rest of the car gloss black see how it looks if i hate it ill just paint it gloss black. Im gonna try something differnt i guess