Jovino's 1991 Toyota Supra

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Hello, supramania. I just drove home my new supra: A 1991 Turbo with 106,000 miles. The only plans I have for the car is to change the radiator cap, thermostat, coolant and oil because on the drive back home the temperature gauge was skyrocketing to high and then it would return to normal. It really worried me during the 50 mile drive. Anyway I hope that after the minor adjustments my supra will be ready to drive. I am also in the process of planning a head gasket swap.

Thanks for reading and please chime in with any tips and advice. I will post pictures of the car tomorrow.

Last edited:

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Here is the pic of the car

I changed the thermostat and radiator cap last night and took it out for a drive. Took it for a spin in the freeway and the temperature appeared normal for the entire ride. But upon exiting the freeway the temp slightly rose and then went back to normal. Is this normal? btw this is my first turbo experience.

Today, I felt like going hiking in the mountains so I got in my car started driving. After driving for about 2 minutes I started hearing some gushing and gurgling water and see steam coming out of the hood. I started freaking out. The temperature gauge did not reach the red zone. So i got off the car and inspect the damages. I saw coolant on the spark plug valley in between the valve covers. First thing that came to mind was a bhg but I look closer and see that a hose is damaged. A heater hose that comes from the heater core valve? that travels through the firewall and enters the back of the engine bay was damaged. I pushed the car back home, walked to the auto store with no luck at finding the hose. A local Toyota dealer quoted me at 56 dollars for the damn hose. I am thinking of calling the Toyota dealer in Elmhurst, Illinois and ordering from their location. Ive read that the hose costs 26 dollars over there. Anyone have good experiences from Elmhurst?

Three day weekend coming up, wont have my car ready till Wednesday or Thursday:nono: Maybe even longer if I order from Elmhurst..:: angry ::

Last edited:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Nice clean looking car you found there!

As for the heater hose, ask your local auto parts store to match the little elbow hose up with some of the preformed heater hoses they have, just cut to size.

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Thanks for the complements. I'm going to keep her as stock as possible.
I ended up special ordering the hose from a Toyota dealer. It was a little pricey but I'm happy with the end results.

Drift4agze

Feb 2, 2011
Arizona
I like it. Looks really good (from the back). Glad your leaving it stock. Hard to find in stock condition nowadays.

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
A small update..

Some lousy pictures were taken with by my phone. Here they are:

I had the car sit for a month because it overheated. I started her up this morning, engine did not sound normal. I checked the oil the oil to find this:

I wasn't expecting this.. I have known that a common bhg sign is milky oil but, I wasn't expecting it to look this milky.
Another update is due as soon as I figure out what to do.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Bhg for sure. Basically anything past the middle of the stock temp Gauge is too hot and over heating. Getting it into the red causes all kinds of damage.

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Being my first turbo supra, I guess I got a little to over excited and pushed the engine to its limits. I am really disappointed to have blown the gasket. The engine was re assembled by Toyota some 20,000 miles ago..

I am not sure whether to go 2jz or to rebuild the 7m.. Guess I'll first have to check to see if the head on the 7m is still any good..

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
7m may not need a rebuild unless the bearings are wiped and it was knocking/screeching like crazy. More than likely you'll just need to check the head, mill if necessary, stock HG & ARP's while you're at it. You can clean up the valves, make sure they're seated, change valve stem seals, and adjust valve lash yourself.

According to everybody's 2j swap that's been documented you'll be looking at $5500 and upwards by the time you're done with that. And that's doing most of the labor yourself.

BTW, did the original owner tell you about the overheating issue before you bought it? Chances are he knew about it.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
nice car, sucks what happened to the engine but most of us have been there

if possible i would just pull the engine and rebuild, a top end is possible but since it sat for a month with the milky oil id be leery or that, not saying you will definitely get knock but its like 50/50

if your thinking about a 2j have you thought about a 1j? you can even use a ct on the engine if you dont get the twins and plus the engine was available in the mkiii so it might be easier on you and your wallet if you dont rebuild the 7m