Job VS Career

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Usually the way I understand it is that a career is a job with room for advancment, and you intend to use it, but jobs can turn into careers as almost seems to be the case in my life...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
To me, which may or may not be the correct definition it goes like this.

A job is a place where you go to get paid. You really could care less about the work you do or why you do it. You can do it well, but really all it is, is a paycheck.

A career, is a place you WANT to be. This may mean advancement, it may not. It's something you are interested in, and may even like doing. You strive to do your best because you feel it means something to you. A career is a place you get a paycheck, but if someone offered you a higher paying job, you'd stay where you are because it's what you really want to do.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
^ Nicely said.

A career to me, is something I enjoy doing while getting paid for it. Hell it doesn't even have to be something I enjoy, if it pays well and involves some kind of needed education/skill, I'd consider it a career.

As stated earlier, a job's just a place/task you go to or perform for a paycheck whether you enjoy it or not and plan to stay there for the rest of your life.

Just my opinion. :)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Murd;1643784 said:
To me, which may or may not be the correct definition it goes like this.

A job is a place where you go to get paid. You really could care less about the work you do or why you do it. You can do it well, but really all it is, is a paycheck.

A career, is a place you WANT to be. This may mean advancement, it may not. It's something you are interested in, and may even like doing. You strive to do your best because you feel it means something to you. A career is a place you get a paycheck, but if someone offered you a higher paying job, you'd stay where you are because it's what you really want to do.

This.
I love my career, and it is the first job I actually enjoy getting up and going to.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Job is a paycheck untill you find your calling.
Career is the job you define yourself with.

Joe worked at Mcdonalds to pay for school, that was a job. Joe became a Doctor, that was his career.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
To me a career is a long term pursuit that will help you achieve your long term life goals.

A job is a way to collect a paycheck.

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Oct 31, 2005
Los Angeles, California, United States
From the dead but interesting. My thought is like most of you guys but also, a "job"might include you specific skill set which your good at and love, but it might not be the company in which you want to establish your career. For example, I'm a commission mechanic. Currently I have a "job" (firestone) but I would like to establish my "career" at a dealership where my skill set and knowledge is more likely to increase as well as pay due to changing vehicle systems. There is also the chance, while rare, where if your good enough you can work for the manufacturer making it a "career".

Last edited: