jdmfreak's A NEW BEGINNING (BUILD THREAD)

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I love your idea (but not for a daily driver)

Remind me this of course:

3y4agege.jpg
enuhy8eg.jpg
hagyvuqy.jpg

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Meh it's faster to take down than the targa :p and I drive my car primarily on weekends as I take a work van home:p

And thanks for that, I just found my new background :-D

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
So I've been doing a lot of research and everyone says if you turbo a n/a block don't go over stock boost levels, but you can turn a stock turbo block up to 20 psi with a good tune,
Now if I do the static compression ratio calculations I come up with 18 psi(on n/a compression ratio of 9.2:1) being close to the same as 20psi(turbo compression ratio8.4:1)

Theoretically I should be able to run 16psi no problem, what am I missing?

Is it the exhaust cam that limits the engine?
Or are these just people's suggestions to save their ass in case the engine decides to grenade??

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Hi, you can check the spreadsheet I made: https://docs.google.com/a/reynald-r...F3b1YoKxMuWqXQiLttjqg73Rs00U/edit?usp=sharing

Save a copy so you can modify green cells to your needs.

Turbo Pressure are in bars but I think you can check your calculation indeed.
I can't make any advice (I haven't knowledge for that) but my searches bring me close to your theory.

I'll building a 9.5:1 7MGTE. Running E85 and be aware of knock will help me.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Octane will help for ignition timing (and torque) but you can achieve the same effective pressure (static+ turbo) as stock if I understand correctly

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
at 8.4:1 @20 psi the ratio is 19.83 :1.
at 9.1:1 @17 psi the ratio is 19.62 :1.
(these numbers are at sea level)
this would indicate that 17 psi is doable on a stock n/a block however i am unsure of what other factors come into play.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Finally found a local tuner who will just advance my timing map on the dyno, everyone I talked to so far either didn't want to tune megasquirt at all, or wouldn't touch it unless I let them do a full tune (upwards of $600)

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
I can send you a picture of the timing map I made for my old car. It is really aggressive though. Worked well enough for the dyno though. Now I just need to lean it out! There is another 30hp that can be made in that car.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Derek,
They charge by the hour,
So the closer I have the tune the cheaper it is, the guy I talked to says we should be able to get it dialed in for under $300

That would be Awesome, thanks Dane, I was impressed with the numbers that your build put out, I've been meaning to ask you why the torque #s were low? Is it because it was running rich?

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
I have no idea. I'm running a thick head gasket. 2mm cometic. Maybe that has something to do with it. Oh, it is also running on 5 1/2 cylinders too since one of them has that big gouge down the side. I gave Ben a newly machined block though. The richness of it couldn't help either. It's the best I can do tuning by myself while driving.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I guess I'm comparing it to mine, I have n/a compression which may have upped my torque more than I thought, the 5 1/2 cylinder makes sense I had forgotten about that

It's making really good #s for how rich it is, you did a good job with the tune

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
It didn't get rich till the very top of the boost, mine was also richer on the dyno than it is on the street and had less boost than I showed on my logs from the drags the night before

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Hmm. Well I did add a lot of fuel on the high boost area above 3,500 rpms and 18psi. It was a bit of a safety measure I threw in months ago when I was trying to dial in timing. I forgot to pull it out when I sold the car. I'll drop it another 10-15 and that should make it much better. Come to think about it, I should probably back off a little bit on the timing as it is building boost. I think that was why the torque was so low. Not much, but probably 2-3 degrees between 2,600-3,200 rpms above 15psi. Ben was saying the car was very quiet on the dyno. I watched the video on FB and I really love the sound of the turbo spooling up. That quiet HKS exhaust makes it easier to hear how quickly it builds boost. Did anyone else take video of it running on the dyno? Cell phone microphones leave much to be desired.