jdm vs usdm 7mgte

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
so i was reading wiki and trying to find out the differences between the jdm and usdm 7mgte. mine has the jdm 7mgte from what i was told.
wikipedia makes it sound like there is no difference between US and JDM. but isnt the turbo bigger in jdm engines.

any other differences that people know about?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Nada. Except the fact that jdm ecu is tuned for no egr and jdm engine just have block off plates.

Everything about the motors are exactly the same. Same turbos, same heads(both na and turbo have the same head too), same blocks.....

ubersonic

Jan 26, 2011
Wales
What hvyman said, but I just thought id add that the JDM 7M-GTEU used in the Supra Turbo-A had some mechanical differences though I doubt you have one of those.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
Also the throttle cable configuration was a little different being that it came from the other side of the firewall. Along without having an egr the vaccum system was layed out a little different due to that. There was only one vaccum nipple coming off of the top of the throttlebody.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Tps prongs is a year thing. Tb are different in the fact of the nipple and the way the throttle cable mounts. Size is the same.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Hi guys.

In 3p tccs hacking thread, we learn that one resistor need to be changed to put the ecu in jdm mode (no egr for sure, maybe no canister).

Can give you a direct link to the post if someone ask. (Need to search in my favorites)

My 2 cents..

RolluS

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Rollus;1726050 said:
Hi guys.

In 3p tccs hacking thread, we learn that one resistor need to be changed to put the ecu in jdm mode (no egr for sure, maybe no canister).

Can give you a direct link to the post if someone ask. (Need to search in my favorites)

My 2 cents..

RolluS

Do post link please...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its one of the stickeys in the general mk3 section or 7mgte tech section.

Jdm still run charcoal canisters.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The engine is no different, hon-duh boy. The cars are different because their steering wheel is on the wrong side and they don't have a NOx requirement.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Oil squirters was a early block design. I have one. Old thin block with all the turbo feed and drain ports but no squirters.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Supra28;1726264 said:
Do post link please...

Here is the link to the direct link to the post: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...bly-Analysis&p=1317537&viewfull=1#post1317537

Here is the post quoted:

3p141592654 said:
To convert the ECU to use the JDM maps and delete EGR you simply need to add a 100 ohm resistor to R606 and you will be in business (only verified on 7MGE 86-88 ECUs, but I'll get to the GTE ECUs in a while, and I'm sure they behave in the same manner).

Here is the resistor and the iron:
no just kidding haha.

The interesting thing is that not only it make the ECU EGRless, but it also switch to jdm maps. In Japan, I think at this time they didn't worry about NOx, so the JDM map should be good for more power but also be bad for the planet: more power, more pollution.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not tuned for more power. Just tuned for no egr and speed cut.
Nox is a by product of combustion.

If anything it would be tuned for less power but since the 7m only has 232 hp it doesn't fall under the 280 hp rule like the 1jz and jdm2jz.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
RazoE;1726295 said:
Oil squirters are also missing in some JDM 7MGTEs and the oil pressure senders are different (metric vs imperial), but that's about it..

Correct, as the Supra never came with the 7M-GE over there, they were all GTE's

Rollus;1726352 said:
Here is the link to the direct link to the post: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...bly-Analysis&p=1317537&viewfull=1#post1317537

Here is the post quoted:

Here is the resistor and the iron:
no just kidding haha.

The interesting thing is that not only it make the ECU EGRless, but it also switch to jdm maps. In Japan, I think at this time they didn't worry about NOx, so the JDM map should be good for more power but also be bad for the planet: more power, more pollution.

I don't see that he confirmed it to be that way on the GTE ECU... You definately won't make more power though...

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Wow, I never knew there were different CT26's out there. Good to know.

Since we're on the topic of ECU's, I have a quick question for those of you that may know. Are you able to eliminate the AFM simply by a JDM ECU?