JDM vs US engine

Northstar24

7M FTW
May 19, 2005
Menomonee Falls, WI
Okay guys, after 14 years and 190,000 miles of service my engine is on its last leg. The plan is to replace it with a Rabid Chimp Rebuilt engine from horsepower freaks, and I have a few questions.

1) Does anyone have experience with a Rabid Chimp rebuilt block, and if so, how was it?

2) The description of the rebuilt 7mgte says that its a JDM engine. Will I be able to just swap that into my 91 Turbo or will I need any additional parts to compensate for the differences between the 7m's send stateside versus those that were sold across the pond?

Thanks!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Northstar24 said:
Okay guys, after 14 years and 190,000 miles of service my engine is on its last leg. The plan is to replace it with a Rabid Chimp Rebuilt engine from horsepower freaks, and I have a few questions.

1) Does anyone have experience with a Rabid Chimp rebuilt block, and if so, how was it?

2) The description of the rebuilt 7mgte says that its a JDM engine. Will I be able to just swap that into my 91 Turbo or will I need any additional parts to compensate for the differences between the 7m's send stateside versus those that were sold across the pond?

Thanks!
I won't comment on Rabid Chimp, as I don't know who does the rebuild or what their education/skill level is. But JDM isn't really saying anything. All Supras are built in Japan, including their engines. Cars destined for different countries sometimes have different emission requirements. US cars have very low NOx standards compared to much of the world, so an EGR system is utilized. Imported used engines usually do not have EGR, and the ECU is calibrated a little different. Simply reuse yours.

Northstar24

7M FTW
May 19, 2005
Menomonee Falls, WI
Yeah, my plan was to buy a rebuilt block so my car isn't out of service, then my dad and I are planning on rebuildin the origional block with all of the goodies like forged pistons and such, I don't really plan on modifying the replacement block much other than intake and exhaust.

I figured that doing it that way would let me take my time with the rebuilding of the origional block, and my dad and I can get it set up exactly how I want it

Does anyone know of or reccommend anyone besides Rabid Chimp for buying a rebuilt block?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
#1. a few coolant lines are routed differently
#2. oil pressure sending unit measures in bar, usdm measures in psi (problem)
#3. Throttle body is different and has to be replaced
#4. no egr
#5. a few vacuum lines are absent when compared to the usdm motor

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
all my dealings with the Chimp have been very positive. I trust him as a person and would beleive whatever he tells you.

Though I have not bought an engine from him.

good luck.

Northstar24

7M FTW
May 19, 2005
Menomonee Falls, WI
The coolant lines and the oil pressure doesnt sound like that big of a deal, the thread on the pressure regulator should be the same as for the USDM so shouldnt you be able to swap a USDM sending unit in?

I could resue the EGR from my block, as it will eventually find its way back into my car after my dad and I rebuild it

So the only things I'm concerned about are the vaccum lines (which again, sounds like its not really an issue) and the throttle body, where would I go to get a JDM throttle body?

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
I believe he ment you have to reuse your TB because the throttle cable is routed to the other side of the car in Japan so it wouldnt actuate right when u hook it to your linkage. So if you get a JDM one just use your oil pressure sender, TB, and EGR if you want EGR on there.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Northstar24 said:
The coolant lines and the oil pressure doesnt sound like that big of a deal, the thread on the pressure regulator should be the same as for the USDM so shouldnt you be able to swap a USDM sending unit in?

I could resue the EGR from my block, as it will eventually find its way back into my car after my dad and I rebuild it

So the only things I'm concerned about are the vaccum lines (which again, sounds like its not really an issue) and the throttle body, where would I go to get a JDM throttle body?

you don't want a jdm throttle body... you want the usdm one... also, none of the other things should be a problem... i re-routed the flow of coolant through the heater core on my car because of the different coolant lines on the back of the engine... shaef did this too, and he said he had no problems

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yep, no problems here with that. i'm also using the JDM throttlebody. it's not an issue if you don't mind ditching the cruise control. (which i hate CC anyway, so did) heh, i hate the linkage setup on the USDM throttlebody. it gets old and sloppy.

i'm happily using the JDM TB. :)

-shaeff