"JDM voltage stabilizer" Does it work ?

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Well, i keep hearing people talk about some kind of jdm voltage stabilier all the time. What does it do and do they actually work ? If its an inexpensive way to improve the electrical system i might look into getting one.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
In most cases they're nothing more than a box with a few capacitors and a couple LEDs. 99% of them are complete trash, with even less capacity for filling power losses than a high capacity car stereo cap. I've seen some that are a bit more involved but still nothing more than a multi-stage inline filter and distribution block. If you've got that much voltage drop or power fluctuation fix the problem.

My advice would be to forget it and just go through your electrical system and fix what's broken. The Supra's stock electrical system isn't weak if it's in good shape... unfortunately, after about 20 years most aren't.

Band-aids will only get you so far. ;)

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Drunk posting is awesome, but , i only asked because i already have upgraded ground wires on my N/A and im using them on my turbo too. I still get alot of "noise" in my electrical system is why i asked. I've tried fixing the problems that are known to me so far and they aren't gettign any better. I still have a random misfire thats ignition related, but i don't know where from.

Understand my delima ?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Noise and misfires? A stabilizer usually won't do a thing for that. Have you checked you plug wires? You're not running solid core wires are you?

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Got the stock 7mm NGK plugs and wires, and also replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires twice.......nothing working. Where do i look next?

Can i go to 8mm wires, would that help ?

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
Dont get a voltage stabilizer. They really don't do anything but put a hole in you'r pocket.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
HellsLegion said:
The acronym JDM has lost ALL meaning

HAHA, your right there. As i put in the " " to show how they word it.

jetjock said:
^ What he said. How exactly did you determine you have a lot of "noise" in your electrical system? What do you base that statement on?

I have a friend that has good mechanical knowledge of automotive electrical systems. He ran some kind of meter on it a few weeks ago and said i have alot of "noise" in my electrical system and that i should have it fixed

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Good mechanical knowledge of electrical systems? What does that mean, he can tighten battery clamps? I'd need to know what instrumentation he used and what he observed to offer an opinion but regardless of that the product you're asking about is almost certainly the electrical equivalent of snake oil. Save your money and find the root cause of the problem, assuming you actually have one.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
He used some kind of ohm meter i guess, i haven't been able to get ahold of him to find out exactly what it was. He works for sherrod vans in GA and they make their interior wiring harness' based on his design of where they go and how they are built. Yes, he can tighten a battery clamp, ha.