JDM Throttle body using N/A upper intake manifold.

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
I have a dilemma. I am currently in the process of a NA-T conversion and am using my N/A JDM intake manifold, N/A JDM Y-Pipe and JDM Throttle Body.

The JDM GE motor that I bought did not come with a bracket that allows adjustment of the accelerator cable. The JDM throttle body appears to be setup for RHD and does not use that full of slack accelerator rod, ultimately less moving parts.

The problem is, since I am not using an GTE intake manifold, the difference in length between the two throttle linkages is the length of the y-pipe (roughly 8 inches). With this length the accelerator cable is at its max tension when positioned up and around the throttle linkage to where the cable actually slides into the linkage.

It sort of goes straight up and bends backward 180 degrees toward the driver side in order to attach to the JDM throttle body. The arc of the linkage on the JDM TB seems to be enough to keep the accelerator cable from forming any right angles and instead forms a smooth c-curve.

a) will this curve damage the accelerator cable since it will actually be under more tension due to deleting the accelerator rod/90 degree curve from the original bracket for USDM TB?

b) since my accelerator cable is old, it is pretty stretched. currently with the USDM throttle bracket when adjusted to give just a tiny bit of slack the screws are near the maximum allowed tension. Can I get away without using the accelerator cable bracket and just have a free hanging cable similar to a bicycles brake system? Or is there a way to reposition the cable or bracket to conform to the RHD standard?

I do understand that using a GTE intake manifold or FFIM would eliminate this problem completely but I am poised to make due with what I have at the moment. Until I start my conversion in which I will either go FFIM or GTE but its 2 months away. I would rather use the N/A manifold until I have use for a FFIM.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Also, I am not sure if the linkage is auto or not. The motor did not come with a transmission and i've never seen an auto supra TB before. I will add pictures in a couple minutes.

Attachments

• IMG00008-20100622-1&.jpg
    IMG00008-20100622-1&.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
So this is one that I got no comments on. Glad to say that using the JDM TB with N/A intake manifold was a sure success. Removing all vacuum from EGR system allowed me to let the system flow but back up at the EGR Valve. No noticeable increases in temperature to the rear of the block were made and there is certainly no detonation. Though I am still trying to figure out if my ECU is JDM which I have yet to do!

The throttle body worked like a charm, the throttle linkage obviously does not work in its normal position (RHD), but by loosening the bolt and rotating the outer spinner 180 degrees the linkage is in line with the original. With this said, you cannot use the original throttle cable bracket and I am still attempting to find an area to mount a throttle cable bracket. Turbo bracket maybe?

All in all I deem it a success, throttle response is ten fold what it is on the original USDM linkage, though the pedal has about 0.2 rads of play in it and can be difficult to use with the clutch. Any bracket suggestions?