JDM motor install question

christenbrad

Mar 16, 2007
San Angelo Tx
hey all! name is brad and im pretty new here so please go easy on me if i am breaching any rules and posting this question in the wrong place. I am in the market for a new 7mgte and looking at getting a used jdm engine. My old one of course blew the head gaskget and had 170 k on it so i figured this might be the better cheaper option. So my question is am i right in this thinking and what will it take to install the new jdm motor? will the wiring harness and ecu i have work? any help and advice is appreciated. Lastly any good places to buy the new motor?

Thanks,
Brad

ndial2498

Jun 3, 2008
Medford
most jdm motors come with a new ecu and a harness, i got my motor from nagasaki motors. it ended up costing me alot to get the harness extended since the jdm harness is for right hand drive. and was like 18 inches short from reaching in to the glove compartment.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Just swap over your current electronics and throttle cable assembly if you've already got a GTE. Same for some of the plumbing, IIRC... it's obvious when you compare the two what you need to swap.

Personally, if you swap a JDM engine straight in without replacing it's HG and thoroughly inspecting it, you're a chump. Better to rebuild the one you've got. The only reason i'd buy a JDM is if mine was completely shot or if I wanted an engine to build on the side while I drove the car in the mean time.

christenbrad

Mar 16, 2007
San Angelo Tx
well i would def put in the wrech time to make my current engine work but im on leave from the military and have a small window to get it running so i dont have to ship a lifeless car to my base.... so i figure this is my best option and then i do have a block on the side to make pretty solid. my old head was pretty shot. warped to f**k. still considering my options...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
The best advice I ever got here was to "assume all used 7M's have a BHG or Rod Knock, till proven otherwise". It's a serious, and I do mean serious crapshoot to just throw a JDM in there without rebuilding it or at least replacing the headgasket first.

Try searching JDM Installation for more info. There's tons of threads on the subject.

By the way, welcome to Supramania.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
If you can find a good place to stash your car, you could keep an eye out for an engine here. They come up now and then. At least you'll know what you're getting. gl.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
If you're going to buy a JDM motor the key thing is buying from somebody reputable. If you go through ebay make sure they have alot of sales, and near 100% rating.

I would have to agree about changing the headgasket even if it passes a leak-down test with flying colors. The reasoning is that it's much easier to change the head gasket with the motor out of the car. Metal head gasket is best, but this will require surfacing the head to a high ra value, as well as lapping the block. Well worth the effort and expense.

Search button is your friend, there is a plethora of info on this site on these subjects.

ndial2498

Jun 3, 2008
Medford
i bought the jdm motor took all the accersories and put them on a new longblock from toyota. U have to take the motor apart, iam glad i did i had a lot of rust in mine.

mk3supra91

Jun 21, 2007
Jersey
ndial2498;1111518 said:
i bought the jdm motor took all the accersories and put them on a new longblock from toyota. U have to take the motor apart, iam glad i did i had a lot of rust in mine.

I could only imagine how much a longblock new from toyota was, lol

christenbrad

Mar 16, 2007
San Angelo Tx
yeah i plan on getting a metal headgasket and doing it right but unfortunetly i dont have to time and have to get the car to arizona. hopefully without towing it... So this is a temporary fix. good to know that i can use my existing wiring harness. my plan is to retourqe the head down and pray for the best and hope it gets me from oregon to arizona. and plus ill have an extra engine to rebuild on the side and get it right:) thanks for all your help guys.

christenbrad

Mar 16, 2007
San Angelo Tx
and here is a picture of her
p1111938_1.jpg

ndial2498

Jun 3, 2008
Medford
new longblock from toyota was $2800, it would have cost me $3200 for a complete rebuild cause the head and everything was all rusted. bottom end was toast, looked like it sat in the rain for 10 years.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ndial2498;1111953 said:
new longblock from toyota was $2800, it would have cost me $3200 for a complete rebuild cause the head and everything was all rusted. bottom end was toast, looked like it sat in the rain for 10 years.

Longblock includes the head, that seems very cheap?