JDM 2J to USDM 2J questions

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
ok i have been doing some extensive research on 1j/2j swaps and have found alot of interesting idea's and data i have about been convinced of a 2j swap now a few questions i have is

a if i have a JDM halfcut and use a USDM harness what would i need to swap over to make the engine complete USDM?
b will the nessecarry plugs for the guages etc work w/ the USDM harness/ecu?
c will the stock 2j twins actually come in contact with the firewall once installed?
d if had a choice of the ODBI or ODBII system wich would be prefered?
e should i stay away from the vvti set up?

thx all feed back is appreciated

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
I can tell you one thing, the usdm 2j harness will definitely not work with the ma70 dash connectors for the gauges etc.

Also, I am under the impression that JDM 1j and 2j harnesses are similar on the engine side, but the USDM one is alot different. If this is true you may have to swap alot of things to make the US harness work on a JDM 2j.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
a: the cams, injectors(440 vs 550) and turbos(ceramic vs steel) are different.
b: no
c: i dont know
d: OBD1, less wiring
e: stay away from VVTI unless you are going to be happy with low power

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
a: US spec turbochargers, low impedance 550cc injectors, injector resistor pack, US spec cams, ECU, MAF. That's all I can think of at the moment..
b You have a bit of work ahead with harness work.
c Yes, you need to do a little bit of sledgehammer work, but NOT that much!
d ODBI - less oxygen sensors to worry about, easier to tune.
e VVTi would be an absolute wiring nightmare, many things would not work, and you would be pretty limited on power unless you had a ton of cash.

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
the VVTI internals dont hold as muchpower plus it was designed for fuel economy, by the time you make any ig power you would want to have adjustable cam gears and cams which completely defeats the purpose of having VVTI, as for the firewall look at some 2j build threads, the only peice that doesnt quite clear is the intake pipe for the rear turbo, you only have to knock the firewall back a few inches down below the brake lines on the corner of the trans tunnel, on page 4 of tissimos build thread look at the picture that says "i cracked my fresh paintt" above it, just to the right of the scratches you can see where it was banged in.

Last edited:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
sources please...

I'm inquiring because when the 2J vvti comes up people's response is always "not worth it. it's too much work. hard to work with" etc

but the sm member Satan has used one without many negative things to say about it.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=219285&postcount=5

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4139&postcount=28

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180785&highlight=VVTi

I don't see anything wrong with it. People used to hesitate about 1Js too because it was 'hard to do' or wire up or whatever. but we know that's not true.

How much 'weaker' is the VVTi motor? I'd like to know. Instead of 1000hp stock block, is it only 700 now then? or something like that that doesn't really matter for most people anyway.

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
So from what I understand it would take a considerable more money to convert a JDM 2J to a USDM 2J all for what 40 hp stock?

As far as the plug I was referring to is II1 - Located near the ECU documented from http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=50

Along with other the other plugs, IJ1 - Located near the ECU.
IJ2 - Located near the ECU are the ones I was referring to that are needed for the 2J swap those I was wondering if they would plug into a USDM harness (sorry I should have been a little more clear on them)

Stock twins was just a question I would probably start on single anyways

ODBI was pre 96? Am I correct there?

Wasn’t clear on the VVTI as far as a: wiring b: dependability with upgrades and more HP

My swap I was considering was the Aristo half cut from www.driftmotion.com http://store.driftmotion.com/productdetails.php?sid=145b3e4549c672&product_id_int=254

again thanks for the imput and help

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
MA717MGTE said:
So from what I understand it would take a considerable more money to convert a JDM 2J to a USDM 2J all for what 40 hp stock?

Look at a BPU setup. Face it: when you put a 2JZ in another car, it is probably going to at least get a new custom downpipe. An intake setup and intercooler with pipes are also things that people like to upgrade as a matter of need. You might as well throw a test pipe and cat-back exhaust on there. After that, with a few more basic things you will be making a bit more power. $75 GReddy boost cut controller and a HKS EVC later and you will be a bit closer to the high 300whp range, with some BPU setups going over 400, and plenty of fuel to support it.

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
drunk_medic said:
Look at a BPU setup. Face it: when you put a 2JZ in another car, it is probably going to at least get a new custom downpipe. An intake setup and intercooler with pipes are also things that people like to upgrade as a matter of need. You might as well throw a test pipe and cat-back exhaust on there. After that, with a few more basic things you will be making a bit more power. $75 GReddy boost cut controller and a HKS EVC later and you will be a bit closer to the high 300whp range, with some BPU setups going over 400, and plenty of fuel to support it.

have you done a 2J swap? and would u go this route that i have researched on?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Whose bright idea was it to put VVTi on a 6cyl anyway? Especially on a sports car engine. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Quin said:
Whose bright idea was it to put VVTi on a 6cyl anyway? Especially on a sports car engine. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
You can tune the VVTi - they make controllers for it! It isn't bad at all for a sports car. Durrrrrr. I think that some people miss the point of VVTi, its as simple as this, a more efficient engine. So try to look at it as a great feature - because it really is, you can install a controller on it and use the car as a daily with considerably good gas mileage, then go to the track on the weekends and set the controller to make those high numbers we all love to see.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
MA717MGTE said:
have you done a 2J swap? and would u go this route that i have researched on?

No, I have not done a 2JZ swap. Unfortunately, I ran out of funds and separated from the military. I am currently unemployed, and my car is across the country.
I still have many parts in storage which are needed for this conversion, and they will see action eventually. Your plans are exactly what my plans were [still are, but it will take longer and might go in a SC300 instead of an A70 Supra].

It's a little bit expensive to convert to US spec, but not terrible. A 2JZ swap costs a bit of cash to begin with. What are your power goals? When you have the swap complete, do you want stock horsepower [~300-ish hp?]? When you are done with all upgrades, what kind of power do you want to make?

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
drunk_medic said:
No, I have not done a 2JZ swap. Unfortunately, I ran out of funds and separated from the military. I am currently unemployed, and my car is across the country.
I still have many parts in storage which are needed for this conversion, and they will see action eventually. Your plans are exactly what my plans were [still are, but it will take longer and might go in a SC300 instead of an A70 Supra].

It's a little bit expensive to convert to US spec, but not terrible. A 2JZ swap costs a bit of cash to begin with. What are your power goals? When you have the swap complete, do you want stock horsepower [~300-ish hp?]? When you are done with all upgrades, what kind of power do you want to make?

great comments guys

Drunken medic, i am by no means going out for an all out #'s car for hp/tourque. i ceartainly dont want stock hp, i will have the normal bpu+ upgrades, catback, intake, rrfpr, upgraded fp and injectors, and a managment system (safcII or Greddy E Manage) big FMIC, would love to go single. i would honestly love to shoot for aprox 500 rwhp, i want it to be a fun car and something different, it wont be a daily driver just something fun to take the the track or scca events and weekend cruises. there was a 1j near hear but i never got to see it and have not worked on a 1J/2J ever. I am very confident in doing a swap, but i love to do my homework as you can tell.

by all means if anyone has any sugetions i would appreciate it (for example) as i sit hear and read this i had also concedered leaving the engine JDM spec and doing a fields harness but im still stuck at some JDM parts being a drawback??

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
MA717MGTE said:
great comments guys

Drunken medic, i am by no means going out for an all out #'s car for hp/tourque. i ceartainly dont want stock hp, i will have the normal bpu+ upgrades, catback, intake, rrfpr, upgraded fp and injectors, and a managment system (safcII or Greddy E Manage) big FMIC, would love to go single. i would honestly love to shoot for aprox 500 rwhp, i want it to be a fun car and something different, it wont be a daily driver just something fun to take the the track or scca events and weekend cruises. there was a 1j near hear but i never got to see it and have not worked on a 1J/2J ever. I am very confident in doing a swap, but i love to do my homework as you can tell.

by all means if anyone has any sugetions i would appreciate it (for example) as i sit hear and read this i had also concedered leaving the engine JDM spec and doing a fields harness but im still stuck at some JDM parts being a drawback??

If it is a J-Spec motor and you want to just buy a package deal, it might be to your benefit.
http://suprastore.com/575rkit.html
Here is a kit that will make the numbers you want. It still needs an intercooler and ignition upgrade, and is for a US-spec 2JZ-GTE. With this package on a J-Spec car you need to worry about having enough fuel, because it comes assuming you have 550cc injectors. You don't have to worry about whether the car is MAF or MAP, because the package comes with an AEM and a custom MAP sensor. It also comes with a turbo, manifold, downpipe.. it's a pretty good solution.
It seems like after you have your swap, wiring and exhaust done, with a kit like this, the only things you need are the "US-Spec" cams and injectors plus injector resistor pack. Then there is the intercooler piping. I'm not saying to get this kit - there are probably better ones out there. This was just a fast example I had found.

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
drunk_medic said:
If it is a J-Spec motor and you want to just buy a package deal, it might be to your benefit.
http://suprastore.com/575rkit.html
Here is a kit that will make the numbers you want. It still needs an intercooler and ignition upgrade, and is for a US-spec 2JZ-GTE.

I must say this is a very impressive kit but pricy but we all know if you wanna play, you gotta pay!

drunk_medic said:
With this package on a J-Spec car you need to worry about having enough fuel, because it comes assuming you have 550cc injectors. You don't have to worry about whether the car is MAF or MAP, because the package comes with an AEM and a custom MAP sensor. It also comes with a turbo, manifold, downpipe.. it's a pretty good solution.
It seems like after you have your swap, wiring and exhaust done, with a kit like this, the only things you need are the "US-Spec" cams and injectors plus injector resistor pack.

assuming i stay with a jdm harness correct?

drunk_medic said:
Then there is the intercooler piping. I'm not saying to get this kit - there are probably better ones out there. This was just a fast example I had found.

I like the kit, would have to resarch more, but that is something i would have to piece together to keep from getting divorced lol

have i set my hp goal to high for a JDM engine and harness?

again guys keep the idea's/comments coming

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
MA717MGTE said:
I
assuming i stay with a jdm harness correct?
have i set my hp goal to high for a JDM engine and harness?

again guys keep the idea's/comments coming

Really, if you are any good at wiring and following schematics, you can extend and re-wire a JDM harness to BE a US harness. With a US harness, I believe you have to do a little bit of wiring anyways to set up the MAP sensor for an AEM.

http://supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=50

This page is about wiring the 2JZ into the A70 Supra, and more than 3/4 down is the 2JZ ECU connector. You can compare this list with that of a US spec harness and re-do it yourself, if you have time. US spec harnesses are over $700 brand new, so if you have time, patience and wiring skills, you can save a little money here.

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
I am descent at wiring and schematics and would give it a hell of a try. besides the JDM turbos what are the JDM cams, map sensor drawbacks?

Injectors are Low imp correct? If so i assume there are plug n play upgrades ava?

Im gathering here that the route i should go is:

leave it a JDM harness and either extend it or make a fields harness, upg cams and map sensor? Anything else?

then there is the unawnsered injector issue

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
MA717MGTE said:
I am descent at wiring and schematics and would give it a hell of a try. besides the JDM turbos what are the JDM cams, map sensor drawbacks?
The cams are not as aggressive as the US spec cams. Not by much, but it's a difference. If I was running a US spec ECU I would want US spec injectors, cams and the MAF. Even small differences can be bad when it comes to air and fuel.

MA717MGTE said:
Injectors are Low imp correct? If so i assume there are plug n play upgrades ava?
The J-Spec 440cc injectors are high impedance [saturated]. US spec 550cc injectors are low impedance. Overall, low impedance [also called peak-hold] injectors are higher quality, but need a resistor pack to operate. No biggie.

MA717MGTE said:
Im gathering here that the route i should go is:

leave it a JDM harness and either extend it or make a fields harness, upg cams and map sensor? Anything else?

then there is the unawnsered injector issue

The J-Spec injectors will be fine for slight upgrades, but they will not give you enough fuel for a full BPU setup. US-Spec injectors, so long as they are clean and in-balance, are actually good enough to support the smaller single turbo kits [less than 500hp]. Some kits you see offered around the web [generally the T57-T61 sized turbochargers] will actually tell you that they can be supported by the stock fuel system. Keep in mind that when they say stock fuel, they mean 550cc injectors.

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
soo let me get this all correct and if you was doing it my way..

JDM 2J swap, USDM harness, ecu, maf, cams (or aftermarket upgrade) 550 injectors (but if i run single might as well go with somthing bigger) rrfpr, single manifold, Turbo (had concedered the Garret GT35) replacment dp, high flow cat (visual inspections here) catback (hpf 4") filter kit, piggy back management safcII or Emanage.

would that sum it up or what would ur set up be?