Jaguar XJR/Lexus GS300 (Aristo)/Audi S4 Vs MKIII Supra

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
At bit of a long one, but I'd appreciate some input!

I thought I'd ask on here as I'm after some comparisons of these particular cars to a modified MK3 Supra.

Basically I've been a long time MKIII Supra fan. I fell in love with them when I was about 8 playing the first Gran Turismo game and Since about 13 my dream was to buy one, rip it apart and rebuild it with a JZ and all of the trimmings. I had a few busted NAs with hopes of building up but I never got around to doing them, not enough time, space or money was always my issue. As time went on I drifted away from the scene and ended up with a Soarer (1JZGTE SC for you guys who don't know your JDM Toyotas). I absolutely loved that car but I went through a rough patched and had to sell it before I could slap on the manual gearbox and single turbo I desperately wanted on it.

Well, long story short I started looking for another car again and rushed into buying another MK3 Supra. NA, manual 'drift car' stripped out with cage, coilovers, rough bodywork, etc but I had intended on just buying it and using on road racing track days. Unfortunately I had what I suspect to be a BHG on the way home which threw my plans off majorly. Now I'm facing the old dilemma. Stick with this Supra and try my absolute hardest to build the car that I have always wanted or take the 'easy' way out and buy something else before the blood, sweat, tears and $$$ get poured in by the bucket load.

Jaguar XJRs (4ltr V8 Supercharged with around 370BHP from the factory) and Toyota Aristos (GS300s with VVTI 2JZGTE) are what are catching my eye the most. The old model (99MYish) S4s are also something I'm thinking about considering cars running twin K04 (a common swap) will make as much as 500whp with bolt ons! I'm Obviously the exchange rates and car markets are different, but circa $5000 will get me a half decent example of either the XJR or the Aristo and circa $9000 for a S4 with the K04 turbos. As for building my dream Supra, well, you'll probably be able to tell me what I'm likely to spend better than I could! I'm thinking $8k would get me 2J NA-T'd, with the suspension and brakes thoroughly upgraded?

The main attraction to the other cars is that I don't have to do anything! They are fantastic cars with brilliantly comfortable interior out of the box and can be improved massively with just bolt on parts. A further $5k on all of them would net 500bhp odd (with the exception of the Audi which would already be that powerful!) The Supra on the other hand needs a lot more than just bolt ons. It's going to be a near enough makes no difference a full rebuild. And I have no garage space to do it all in!

I love Supras, but the main reason I stayed away from them was precisely the sort of hassle that buying the one that I have now is going to cause me.

Cliffs:

Likes Supras, bought a broken one, needs money spending, can get fast sedans for same/less $$$$, should I give up.

Perhaps a wild card is importing a JZA70 from Japan myself... Then I could have my "dream" supra with not much more effort than mere bolt ons...

Thoughts?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
S4 is a Jetta if I'm not mistaken? Once you take away the badges anyway...

Aristo is basically the Toyota equivalent of the S4, just a comfy, nice 4 door car with a bit of spunk...

So if it were me and my style, it would come down to either the Jag or the Supra. If you have to work on either of them though, a garage really is a helpful thing to have. Also, how patient are you? That would answer a lot...

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I am not nearly as patient as I should be to be taking on a big project. I have a very short attention span when it comes to cars and as such I have had about 10 in the last three years!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well, if you can't be patient, I'd say buy something that you can enjoy now, before you spend years (and thousands) on a car that you lose interest in. See the link there about "living with a Supra" in my signature? You should take a read through that... you'll understand after reading it what I mean about patience. :)

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Funnily enough it is your thread there that inspired me to quit smoking, stop drinking as much as I used to and stop spending loads of money on eating out when I'm at work so I'd have more $$$ to spend on my Supra :).

I am terrified that I'll eventually lose interest in the Supra if I were to begin it, heck, I haven't even started it yet and I am already thinking about jumping ship. This has always been a problem for me but I'd love to actually finish a project, Its just getting the 'inspiration' to start building what I considered for years and years to be my 'dream' car (A black, late model MK3 Supra) is considerably more difficult than I thought it would be. I think that if I had a garage and could take my time with the build I'd be happier (because then I could get the Jag as a daily :love:), but everything I'd do at this point would be on the road side, which is fine when you have bolt on upgrades planned, but not when you know you've got a full suspension rebush and engine swap on the to do list.

I seriously envy you guys with your massive garages and driveways :cry:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Haha, I feel a bit honored that my advice helped out. :)

That said, patience is hard to come by man... I've been driving mine as it sits for about 2.5 years now, gradually gathering parts. Once I pull her off the road, I'm going to have a LOT of work on my hands. At this point, I'm almost growing bored with the car, even though I have a grand plan for it overall... I'm patient and dedicated and all, but it's getting tough to hold out for my dream Mk3.

As for the Jag, how are you going to afford gas using that as a daily? That can't be cheap over there...

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I don't do many miles so I can justify having big engined cars. Anyway, I doubt the Supra would be much more economical!

I feel sort of disappointed in myself for wanting to bail on the Supra before I've even got started on it, but right now I'm thinking that as ever, I've bitten off more than I can chew without a garage...

I just don't think I have it within me to commit to a single car. I've been thinking about some of the cars that the sort of money I could lay my hands on would buy, and there is some seriously nice metal to be had over here for just a few grand. R33 GTR Skylines are within budget, as are E46 M3s, Evo VIIIs, Imprezas, TT MKIV Supras (although I probably wouldn't as I still prefer MK3s!), etc. Why commit to a single car when I can buy something awesome, drive it for 6 months and then sell it to buy something else awesome and repeat the cycle...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well they do say variety is the spice of life... just gotta be careful that you don't end up with someone who has neglected taking care of a car, and you end up with their maintenance problems. ;)

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Another potential idea. Sell this supra, import a Jza70 in from Japan.

The market for them has really dropped, I could get one imported and registered for the same sort of money that a JZ swap would cost, and I'd probably make my money back if I were to sell it.

I still love supras, I am just concerned about the large amount of work a Jz swap and sorting the body work out is going to take. A Jza70 will obviously already have a 1j so all I'd have to do is just add bolt one, and the bodywork sort in theory be nice and rust free...

This is why most people refuse to talk cars with me, I change my mind too many damn times!!!