Its old, its crummy, it cost alot of money. SUPRA TIME!

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
So, I was just about to go to work in the old supra(89 7m-gte r154) right? Well I start it up and wait about 5 minutes. I head out slowly not boosting or hammering on the gas or anything because its still warming up. I've done this alot, so i'm going down the street and the car starts like jerking. I thought the clutch finally gave out since its in need of one, however the car starts trying to shut off. It felt like boost leak. I pull over and the cars idle is low like 300rpm and the check engine light comes on. It felt like the car was going and then it would just like cut the power instantly it was very strange. Lucky for me i was a block away from my home so i turned around and the supra got me home. I parked it went and took another car to work. Came home and started workin in the rain ( yay for my apartment having a car port) and I checked the codes. It gave me a code for 31. WTF the cars engine is new the harness is new, and the AFM is good. Well, I had a spare afm and I swapped the old one out. The old afm seemed like it had alot of moisture. (another WTF moment) So I hooked it all back up and let the car warm up and checked the codes again. Still 31. So i drove it down the street normally. It was fine again WTF. So i did a couple hard pulls WOT. It ran with no problem and no check engine light. WTF! So in rest my case and can only say WTF. I have a theory that it may be my ECU only cuz the shop I took it to changed my old one out but didn't give it back to me. Thats another issue that I'm not willing to discuss.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

P.S. YES I'm working on getting a clutch. I already have an alluminum flywheel and bolts. Just need the clutch and throwout bearing or pilot bearing, and a few other things.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
Ditto, also, I'm sure this goes without saying but if they arn't willing to give back YOUR parts..... They are no good.

John

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Remember that the ECU in the Supra is a learned value setup. First reset the codes, then give the ECU time to learn. If you've changed anything (like the AFM) the learned values are likely incorrect at this point.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Thanks SC I'm going to reset the car now that I don't need it. P.S. checked the pipeing just for giggles and its all good. I got code 31 and 24 but Like you its a learned value. So I will reset. Worst comes to worst the car is crap once again, which i don't understand because its a new harness new engine and new ECU and its doin the same crap as last time. Maybe this thing is cursed LOL JK

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
31 & 24 combined is a clue. They share the same harness. I'd start by inspecting wiring for damage. Don't assume the wiring is undamaged because it is new. There may be a sharp edge on your chassis that is damaging the new harness.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Hmm great thats no good at all. Thanks I'll look and see however, for that part of the harness where does it go to the afm and what else or am i wrong?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
SUPRASTEVE;1654489 said:
Hmm great thats no good at all. Thanks I'll look and see however, for that part of the harness where does it go to the afm and what else or am i wrong?

Both the IAT and the AFM are plugged into it. Each traces directly back to the ECU via the harness through the firewall.

winsauce

they call me cotton jr
Sep 17, 2010
Dayton, OH

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
yeah I don't have to tools or time to check the whole harness. especially back there on the fire wall. Well 5 years from now 2jz-gte swap LOL